no more maincrop tatties.

• 10 Replies

mrpotatohead

no more maincrop tatties.
« on: August 24, 2012, 18:26 »
blight wiped out all of my maincrop plants and second earlies too. i removed the haulms and set them in a pile, as i was too busy at work to get rid of them. last night i piled them up and burned them in a bonfire. a lot still remain, but it was a gooey stinking mess. never had blight before, and it's put me off growing maincrop again. will the tatties left in the ground with a little bit of haulm left be ok for eating do you guys think?

Mrs Bee

Re: no more maincrop tatties.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 19:06 »
I believe the thinking is that you leave them in the ground for 2 weeks before you dig them up and they may be OK. Or so Mr B says after he researched it on the net.

Ours had blight and we chopped them off as soon as we spotted it and we have had a very good crop of Juliettes and Charlottes but not so good with the Desiree and we are yet to dig up the Cara so it is finger's crossed at the moment.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 19:41 »
It depends how badly they were blighted before you chopped the tops off  :unsure:
You have to hope you've done it before the spuds themselves have started to rot.

I did the same thing a few weeks ago - most of them have been ok, a few were already rotting and smelled disgusting :(
When you lift them to store check them before you put them in their bags or boxes. Check regularly that none have started rotting as it will quickly spread to other spuds. - the smell gives it away if they have. Bleugh!

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 23:16 »
Once it takes hold blight spreads so quickly that you really have to inspect your crop every day when the conditions for it are right. Got it for the first time this year but managed to rescue the crop by acting quickly. Yield was down but some spuds is better than no spuds.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 07:18 »
I have to thank my aged plot neighbour, who spotted blight on our 'Charlottes'.

There were only a couple of brown marks, but he'd seen them, so they were cut down pronto!

Best crop of spuds we've ever had, so it really does need someone looking out for you - or you looking out for others!

SG6

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 13:08 »
Could try the Sarpo varieties:
    Sarpo Mira
    Sarpo Axona
    Blue Danube

They are supposed to be fairly resistant.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 13:18 »
I've just been up to my plot after a couple of months illness followed by a couple of weeks holiday.
The Sarpo Mira are still standing tall and proud, all others totally wiped out, although the tubers on the ones I dug up seem OK, (at the moment!).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 13:18 »
This has been an exceptional year! Never in my lotty lifetime have I seen devastation on the scale we have.

Don't think for one minute this is the norm and I would suggest you carry on growing your mains in the future.

My plot has never been so empty at this time of the year and never have I seen so much water fall from the sky.

Next year will be different, if not then I shall look into rice cultivation  :unsure:
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 13:20 »
I agree with Aidy not to give up.

If you gave up growing something after the first time you had a failure, within a few years you'd be growing nothing at all.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 16:20 »
My pink fir apple also seem resistant. Amazing really as at one point they were actually draped by blight ridden vivaldi leaves

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 16:31 »
That's strange as PFA are rated as very low blight resistance and I've personally found it so. The were the first to knuckle under a few years ago.

http://www.europotato.org/display_description.php?variety_name=Pink%20Fir%20Apple

xx
Maincrop Tatties

Started by dougsta on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 19:22
by fatbelly
question
Late maincrop tatties

Started by Mike.white on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 16:16
by Parsnip
xx
tatties

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 18, 2015, 21:32
by colin120
xx
first tatties

Started by DadBear on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 11, 2007, 22:47
by frazzy

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 37 queries.