soft shallots (were being stored to plant out this aut)

• 1 Replies

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
Rather than buy a shed-load of new shallots I saved a load of shallots I harvested a month or so back. I dried them out fully and put them in a dark cool place ready to plant this autumn for over-wintering.

However today I notice that many of them are a bit soft when I gently squeeze them - they're not mouldy, dripping or wet or anything like that - just a bit soft. Would these need to be discarded and not planted up?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: soft shallots (were being stored to plant out this aut)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 11:43 »
If they've deteriorated that quickly they must have either lost too much water through being stored somewhere too hot, or, despite your efforts, are starting to rot.

The rot isn't always visible from the outside - cut one in half and see whether any of the flesh is soggy looking and/or mouldy (usually starts from the neck end.)

Obviously best to plant healthy bulbs - you might get away with slightly dehydrated ones but definitely won't get anywhere with rotting ones.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Plant shallots now?

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2018, 17:44
by DHM
xx
OK to plant shallots now?

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 21, 2016, 09:40
by New shoot
xx
when to plant shallots?

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 18:24
by DavidT
xx
When to plant shallots?

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post December 30, 2013, 22:21
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.757 seconds with 29 queries.