Never again

• 50 Replies

jmc1949

Re: Never again
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 16:43 »
Not growing brussel sprouts next year. They're taking over. And will only plant 1 courgette next year not two. I'm sick of them. Not doing perpetual spinach, never grown it before but having tasted it I'm not keen.

Springlands

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 16:49 »
Never again will I give my greenhouse cucumbers more care than everything else put together (being careless will probably have the same outcome but will save lots of time!)  :wacko:

It does and it will  ::) ::) 

Mrs Bee

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 20:56 »
Things I definitely will do that I didn't this year:

1) space things out properly

2) try and figure out succession planting so everything isn't ready at the same time!

3) write down what seeds I have already before browsing through seed catalogues!

Yes I could have written this too. ::)

And to add to the never again, I will never again leave my seeds out of the packets and unlabelled so that I start off beetroot seeds  in modules early to get early beets and get inundated with spinach because I mistook the spinach seeds for beetroots :wacko:

And I am never going to bother with first early spuds either. They don't cook well and don't taste much either.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 05:54 »
And I am never going to bother with first early spuds either. They don't cook well and don't taste much either.

That's a shame - perhaps it was the variety?  I wasn't keen on Rocket or International Kidney (the name for Jersey Royals outside Jersey - they definitely taste nothing like the real thing as it is down to the soil) but my favourite so far has to be Arran Pilots

I'm definitely leaning towards never growing maincrop potatoes again - every year there seems to be one reason or other why they don't do as well as the others.

Growster...

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 06:04 »
Interesting points you make Babbyann.

First earlies (Sharpes Express) needed to be cared for so much more too, and were nothing much after a couple of weeks but the second earlies we sowed - Charlotte - have been outstanding!

I can't really get much enthisiasm for maincrop either, as they take up ground-room during the year, and then floor-room in the shed - for just a few quid.

So probably next year, it'll be second earlies, slaughter them young, then make them last as long as possible into the maincrop period...

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 06:34 »
don't sow 2 trays of leeks ended up giving away 1 1/2 trays and still have 130 plants.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

allotmentann

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 08:14 »

That's a shame - perhaps it was the variety?  I wasn't keen on Rocket or International Kidney (the name for Jersey Royals outside Jersey - they definitely taste nothing like the real thing as it is down to the soil) but my favourite so far has to be Arran Pilots

I'm definitely leaning towards never growing maincrop potatoes again - every year there seems to be one reason or other why they don't do as well as the others.

That is a shame. I grew International Kidney (Jersey Royals) this year in bags. I had read that they use a lot of seaweed as fertilizer, so I did the same, and I have to say they out Jersied the Jerseys, the most beautiful potatoes that I have ever eaten in my life, with the true flavour of a Jersey. Sadly blight struck and the crop was not huge, but I will definitely be growing them again.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 08:54 »
We have grown Accent and Accord and really wasn't fussed with either.

The Juliettes were beautiful and the Charlottes were brilliant we have 1 sack of the former and nearly 2 of the latter with another 2 rows to be dug up. The desiree have succumbed to blight so they will be a never again and we have yet to see if the maincrop Cara have done well. Althoughwe had to cut the foliage off because of blight.

Weeeell perhaps I might try a few Aran Pilot next year Babby Ann.
But I am leaning toward the Juliette  to eat early and the CHarlotte to eat early and leave some to grow to maincrop as they are always beautiful to cook and eat. Top choice for chefs too!

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 10:15 »
Never again will I let the weeds grow so much amongst my seedlings. Never having had an allotment before I decided to grow three brussel sprout plants direct from seed. I ended up on my hands a knees weeding and kept what I thought were the brussel sprout shoots. When they were about 6 inches high I was told that I had been nurturing the best kept weeds on the plot!  :wub:

BabbyAnn

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 11:15 »
Weeeell perhaps I might try a few Aran Pilot next year Babby Ann.
But I am leaning toward the Juliette  to eat early and the CHarlotte to eat early and leave some to grow to maincrop as they are always beautiful to cook and eat. Top choice for chefs too!

;)  fingers crossed they'll convince you not all 1st earlies are the same.

Oh, another Juliette fan  :D - I normally leave them to die back naturally and they are more like an early maincrop with an amazing yield and taste lovely.  This year the blight struck so size and yield well down but still one of my faves along with Kestrel.

Desiree usually do alright normally so don't let this exceptionally terribly bad blighty year put you off them forever (says she who has decided not to grow maincrop again  :wub: LOL)  Seriously though, they are one of the few maincrop varieties that are fairly slug resistant (high on my criteria list) and a general good all rounder.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 11:24 »
I had to cut the tops off of my Desiree - but 2 weeks later when I dug them up the yiels is still good and some huge bakers  :) They are the most reliable main crop variety around here  ;)

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 11:35 »
I finally gave up on two of my bush tomatoes growing free-range in the polytunnel when the foliage got so huge that the strings holding them up snapped. Two tomato plants = two wheelbarrow-loads of foliage plus about a dozen green tomatoes and a renewed determination to only grow cordon varieties in grow-bags next year. At least I can now get into the damned tunnel without coating all my clothes with yellow dust

Mrs Bee

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2012, 14:32 »
I had to cut the tops off of my Desiree - but 2 weeks later when I dug them up the yiels is still good and some huge bakers  :) They are the most reliable main crop variety around here  ;)

Actually, I may change my mind on the Desiree. I had a furtle and the one plant I dug up was rotten :(

But OH was there digging them over and he came back with 1/4 sack of decent looking spuds. And I only put a few plants in. Will taste first before I make my mind up tho'.

Christine

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2012, 05:59 »
Never again will I let aquilegia run riot. I've spent more time clearing the plot of them this last month than I have over the years beating back dandelions. I only put them under the fruit trees honest.  :D At the start.

And that was after having a riot of nasturtiums one year.  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2012, 08:38 »
I know what you mean about them  ::) I have them everywhere here as well - it seemed such a good idea, with them being so pretty n all  :blush:

Page created in 1.276 seconds with 38 queries.