fleas

• 8 Replies

crowndale

fleas
« on: August 21, 2012, 08:23 »
i think my chickens may have fleas.  nothing obvious on them or around their run and house but i cleaned the trays out yesterday and put the poop and wood shavings into the composting bin and when i lifted the lid a couple of hours later swams seemed to fly out and now my house is full of them!  its not the cats, they've been frontlined only recently so concluded must be the chickens.  whats the best treatment for them?  they are pekin batams (18-19 weeks old) and silkies (about 14 weeks old.  thanks
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Beano

Re: fleas
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 09:03 »
I don't think fleas can fly. Could they be midges? I've noticed that they are in the coop sometimes, especially if there is a big dollop of poo. They're tiny little beggars and boy do they bite.
El.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 19:36 »
Frontline the chickens too. Buy the pump spray from your local vet and squirt it on to the chickens skin (on the back of the neck), one spray will be enough.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 20:49 »
Sounds like either compost midges or little black fruit flies, have you also put fruit in there ?
Neither are parasitic just ****** annoying. :)

crowndale

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 09:14 »
there is fruit in there yes.  and having looked closer at the murdered ones i sprayed they are not fleas.  phew.  but yes,  irritating.  every summer my home is full of little black flies (like blue bottles but smaller, just not as small as these fruit flies), no idea where they come from (only had chickens a few months so not their poop or anything!).  they seem immune to fly spray too which is doubly irritating!  the blue bottles drop at the first spray of fly killer but these little flies just laugh in my face and seem to multiply when sprayed, like some kind of horrible genetic mutation experiment gone wrong, but am digressing, thanks for all the advice.  will go get some frontline anyway just in case!

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 15:44 »
Can you tell me which type of frontline to get please :) :)
Pull up a perch!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 16:39 »
As frontline is not licensed for poultry no shops should sell you it if you say it is for chickens. I get the spray from my vets - I have to sign a statement acknowledging that it hasn't been licensed for chickens.
Staffies are softer than you think.

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 21:40 »
Thanks joyfull  :)

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 08:38 »
there is fruit in there yes.  and having looked closer at the murdered ones i sprayed they are not fleas.  phew.  but yes,  irritating.  every summer my home is full of little black flies (like blue bottles but smaller, just not as small as these fruit flies), no idea where they come from (only had chickens a few months so not their poop or anything!).  they seem immune to fly spray too which is doubly irritating!  the blue bottles drop at the first spray of fly killer but these little flies just laugh in my face and seem to multiply when sprayed, like some kind of horrible genetic mutation experiment gone wrong, but am digressing, thanks for all the advice.  will go get some frontline anyway just in case!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
fleas??

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2012, 18:05
by Tony H
xx
Fleas

Started by PaulineM on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 08:51
by Sassy
xx
Fleas in hens

Started by Nails on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 08:34
by joyfull
xx
fleas in hen house:(

Started by celtbhoy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 31, 2010, 21:25
by joyfull

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 28 queries.