Spade or Fork?

• 46 Replies

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Spade or Fork?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 20:13 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
once your into a rythm well me ,, i find i can pitch n turn a full plot in a day no worries .one of those sections in the pic i mean ,i dig a half dozen turns have a break to catch my wind and then on again.one of the old fellas who died a year or so back would do his whole plot ,.the end one in a day no messing he would start at about 9 and be finished for 3 ,,,, was up n down like a little jackrabbit .all he did was sup from a hip flask and chew liqourice stick  :lol:  :lol:

:shock:  Do you charge by the hour, Munts!

muntjac

Spade or Fork?
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 20:15 »
lol i actually charged £25 for rotavating a plot not so long back lol :lol:
still alive /............

gobs

Spade or Fork?
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 20:24 »
You expensive. :lol:

Spader here, as said. Besides, I tried the fork, broke three, no chance of driving it into heavy clay. :wink: But then, if you have sandy soil(I would not no) doesn't it just fall through? :?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

splodger

Spade or Fork?
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 21:10 »
i must be ampi do dah - i use both - equally

each job needs a specific tool - you use the right tool - the job is easy - you use the wrong one and you'll f*** / sorry mess up - same rule applies for any job - bad tools - bad job - right tools - job done   :wink:

frazzy

Spade or Fork?
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 21:26 »
same  here . i use both
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.  byJohn Burroughs:

Fenland Girl

• Experienced Member
Spade or Fork?
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 21:38 »
Used to use just a fork as thought it was easier (i'm only little!) until OH bought me a lovely Joseph Bentley spade and it really makes a difference having a well-made tool - I can actually get it into the earth and lift it out again without breaking my back or toppling over, unlike with the previous rubbishy Focus spade! I've actually broken two forks lifting my giant parsnips :lol:

Trillium

Spade or Fork?
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 21:46 »
Like some others, I use both a shovel and a fork wherever it's needed most, but I like the fork more. I find the shovel holds more than the spades which I just use for edging. For big jobs, I use the rotovator.

sparky

Spade or Fork?
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 22:47 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
once your into a rythm well me ,, i find i can pitch n turn a full plot in a day no worries .one of those sections in the pic i mean ,i dig a half dozen turns have a break to catch my wind and then on again.one of the old fellas who died a year or so back would do his whole plot ,.the end one in a day no messing he would start at about 9 and be finished for 3 ,,,, was up n down like a little jackrabbit .all he did was sup from a hip flask and chew liqourice stick  :lol:  :lol:

Fork fer me then :lol:

sweet nasturtium

Spade or Fork?
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2007, 00:44 »
I was just going to ask this question, I started last year using a spade but learned about weeds so started using the fork.  Now I'mlearning that the weeds seem to fall through the fork deep into the hole. So I'm now looking for a rotovator so I don't have to use neither.

Munty - your man - was it the liquorice stick, hipflask or digging that killed him I wonder? :wink:

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
Spade or Fork?
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2007, 05:35 »
i`m on clay so i use the spade and after i dig again with fork and rake to make it fine.
i enjoy the digging i find it peaceful ( cos everyone is at work in the day and i work nights) and theraputic, i get into the rhythum and feel satisfied as i look over the freshly dug squares of soil  :D

munty - are those plots all yours or just one of them?

brucesgirl

Spade or Fork?
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2007, 08:40 »
Well it seems most use a fork here, but at our allotments I seem to be the only one. Must admit it seems to take me longer, but I do get a better end result.
I think I will try the spade this weekend just to see how it goes, now I have been told to use small slices with it.
I agree with Munty a hand-dug plot does look nicer than a rotovated one, but I suppose it depends on your circumstances.

paintedlady

Spade or Fork?
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2007, 08:51 »
fork - I found using a spade was too much like hard work.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Selkie

Spade or Fork?
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2007, 10:34 »
our soil's SO stony that we use a fork - broken a couple of spades :cry:  so it's fork from now on :D

muntjac

Spade or Fork?
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2007, 10:35 »
Quote from: "paintedlady"
fork - I found using a spade was too much like hard work.

its all in the wrist action ................. using a spade  :lol:

paintedlady

Spade or Fork?
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2007, 11:56 »
I'm so glad you added that last bit to finish the sentence! :)

It's hard work because the soil is too heavy when wet, too "solid" (clay) when dry and I'm forever bending down to dig up the bindweed, its easier when the fork has partially broken up the soil to expose the root.

xx
Spade or fork to lift parsnips?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 30, 2012, 22:00
by Yana
xx
Fork to fork with monty don

Started by Hayleynotts on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post June 23, 2014, 23:39
by TheWhiteRabbit
xx
Rotovate or use fork

Started by marion on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 27, 2008, 21:31
by penlee
xx
Recommend me a garden fork

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 22:24
by andreadon

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 36 queries.