how much indoor space should chickens have

• 7 Replies

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
how much indoor space should chickens have
« on: August 17, 2012, 08:39 »
My 3 girls and 1 boy free range all day, never using the small run that they have, I have pots of food in the garden too, so they dont even go in there to eat!

Our sleeping/laying area is a plastic cushion box, which is great - easy to clean etc. But with the arrival of a new chick Im not sure if its too small? if you look at them during the evening they are really huddled together, (i know they do this to keep warm etc!) but they are almost laying on top of each other?? There is more room that they could spread out into, but it looks like they all like the corner!

is there a minimum for each bird?

I have 4 more new girls that have a bigger run and the same size cushion box, I plan to intergrate them shortly and move the old cushion box into the new run, or do you think its time I started to build something for them all to share? Again they all will free range in our garden during the day!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: how much indoor space should chickens have
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 09:19 »
large fowl should have 12 inches (30cms) of perch space each, bantams 10 inches and true bantams 8 inches each. They won't use or this but will squash up together for warmth and protection but you do need to provide this amount of space. You should also provide one nest box for every 3 hens (although the chances are nomatter how many you provide they will usually all want to be in the same one  ::)).
Staffies are softer than you think.

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 12:52 »
Thanks Joyful, thinkwe are well in there!! Just got to figure a way of introducing the nest box??? Thinking hats or another post at the ready :-) x

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 12:57 »
you can use a cat carrier (without the door) or even a washing up bowl or a small wooden box  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 12:57 »
Our girls don't like the posh plastic 'chickbox'es that we got from BEC and as Brian got rid of some of our nest boxes last year, I told him to use a couple of crates for now, and the shaver blacks that had been used to free ranging at their last home and laying everywhere love them more than the 'proper' thing.

The brown girls have wooden nest boxes.

Someone on here used a new cat litter tray too!

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 13:14 »
(although the chances are nomatter how many you provide they will usually all want to be in the same one  ::)).
Aint that the truth, we brought a new cooop with a nest box either side and they fight to all lay in the same corner!
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 15:13 »
Do that mean that your boxes/crate/cat carriers/litter trays etc that you are all using for nest boxes are outside the coop, but I am assuming inside the run??

being here Sw france - my neighbours use old wine crates filled with straw (yes I know you shouldnt but they do here!) but these ar enormally on a high shelf inside an old barn? Some sleep/rest on the perch some sit/sleep/rest in these boxes!

Thanks

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 16:10 »
No, all our nest boxes are inside, but I only have my 2 big sheds now, so plenty of room for nesting and perches.  At the moment all the layers (26 of them) are in the 16x8 shed Brian built for the pure breeds, and his turkey poults are in the 32 x 6 shed.

He sold all the other sheds and coops last year when I said I was going to 'retire'  Most of the ones he built though had nest boxes built onto the sides of the sheds/coops  Like this one which he also sold.

I was gutted as it was my favourite 'small' coop!
small chook house 30nov06 (480 x 360).jpg

xx
How many chickens in this space??

Started by chickychick on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post August 17, 2007, 18:07
by chickychick
xx
Not sure if I have the right space for chickens?

Started by Pepperpincushion on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post March 15, 2011, 19:35
by Lindeggs
xx
How much space do chickens need if they are not free-range?

Started by chrisholmes on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 09:34
by Flowerpower136
xx
Chickens in very small space - would you report them?

Started by bashful_badger on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post September 21, 2009, 21:23
by Rubellite

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 37 queries.