allotment costs

• 50 Replies

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
allotment costs
« on: August 16, 2012, 20:42 »
How much do you pay per year for your allotment?      An impossible question to answer as it will depend on so many different factors but if you could reply with how much you pay for a full plot/half plot then that would be a good start.      Could you also let me know whether it is a commercial site/Council, Parish or otherwise please.      One last question, What are you expected to contribute in the way of work i.e. painting common fences/cleaning common areas, fund raising and what measures are used to ensure that everyone does their share of the work?
Do you really need al that lettuce/

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: allotment costs
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 20:46 »
Why do you want to know all this detailed information brokenglass?

Some background to your question would be nice.

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 21:07 »
Sorry should have given some backgound information.

I am on a Council owned Site Leased to the Allotment Group, 99 year Lease, full plot rent is £ 40 per annum.    Plot holders are expected to raise funds, raffles, donations including items for the raffle, attend Fayre Days s again to raise funds and alson contribute to the upkeep of the common areas, painting fences, Huts etc.       Small group wish to increase the rent to £ 100 per annum in line with the commercial plots in the area.     We will still be expected to carry out the voluntary work/donations etc well those that do contribute as surprise surprise most do nothing other than their own plot.       Hence my request for information.

Judd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 21:23 »
Private owned site.
£14 per year.
No communal anything just look after your own plot.
No rules apart from look after your livestock and lock the gates as far as I know.
It's better to burn out than to fade away !!     ;)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 21:36 »
Hi, We pay £4.50 per rod, including water provision (switched off in winter).  Self-managed, council owned 6 acre site.  No toilet (portaloo provided out of allotment funds for three months in summer).  Small amount of parking. No other services as such provided by Council.

Voluntary systems for cutting shared paths/boundary hedges, responsibility to plot holder to cut paths surrounding their plots.  

Shop - manned by volunteer committee members.

Shed at back of shop contains manual mowers, tools for shared use if required.

Fundraising and Social events are also voluntary.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 21:41 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Cake Lady

• Experienced Member
    • The Allotment Good Life
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 22:12 »
Our site is parish council owned and we pay £25 for a full and £12.50 for half plot.  The only thing we have to do is close the gates if we're the last ones there.  The general upkeep seems to be done by committee members.  It is a small site and I have a feeling that a full plot is smaller than some other sites.

We have a little shop with most things you would need - fairly cheap but I believe all profits go into providing machinery & tools and the petrol to run them.  They also charge 25p for a barrow of manure, which is probably delivered for free, but then i don't have the hassle of sourcing or transporting, and then I get to use the mowers for free so I'm not complaining!

Dom2599

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 22:26 »
Full plot £98.00 per year, council owned (Redcar & Cleveland Council) and they do very little for it...... dirt track full of pot holes, hedges not trimmed, plots left empty and over grown ( apparently they cant find the list of people wanting allotments) they have increased in the past 2 years by 18%, then 22% and i'm sure they will try another 20-25% increase next year.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 23:37 »
Mine is a half plot (80-100sq m)  and is £31/year including water. Council owned and managed by association committee.

No obligation to join in site maintenance/annual work parties, but most people do. There are free woodchippings & a kitty for manure, communal areas on each field for BBQs etc, a communal shed, a composting loo built by plot-holders, a very kind man mows the main paths, but tenants are responsible for maintaining paths between plots. There are a couple of social events each year, no fairs, no shop.

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 23:40 »
Dom it does appear that with a failing allotment site they are determined to repeat the failures of the past by increasing the costs, doing nothing and by doing so the number of well kept plots reduces further proving that there is no demand for allotments in the area therefore selling it on or using the area for other purposes would be more beneficial to the area and those within such

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 23:50 »
40ftx80ft council plot (no idea in rods and all that malarky).  £30 a year, no water on site.  Only requirements is to do your own plot, and shut the gate. 

I think if most people had to do what you have to, i.e. do fund raisers etc, most people wouldn't bother with the hassle of having a plot.  Finding the time to do your own plot is time consuming enough as it is when you're working.  I feel for you!
This is my Allotment, There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my Allotment I am nothing, without me, my Allotment is nothing

allot2learn

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 00:03 »
Full plot, 120' x 30'. Water taps x 9 between 14 plots, mine is just outside my gate, council owned and leased to our assoc. Six foot steel security fencing all round. Toilet block on mains water, concrete garage/shed which we are about to use as an on-site shop. Should be £66.40 but we have half price for senior citizens ie me, so I pay £33.20 + £3 mebership + £15 water charge. £46.20 total. Cheap at the price.

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 07:30 »
70’ x 90’
- Free manure
- Free wood chips
- Free leaf mould
- Stand pipes
- Toilets
- Shop
- Parking
£18 per year.

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 09:30 »
Third of a plot, £12 a year, £10 key deposit.

No water but theres a river over the fence with steps to the water at every gate.

No rules except obey the rules, really (lock the gate, be nice, look after your plot).
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

ryetek

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 09:53 »
- Council owned site
- Leased to and run by an allotment association
- Full plot (90ft x 30ft approx) rent is £20 per annum
- Half plot (25ft x 28ft approx) rent is £10 per annum
- Water provided but switched off in Winter
- Voluntary systems for cutting shared paths/boundary repairs etc
- Responsibility of plot holder to cut paths and/or hedges surrounding their plots
- No toilets or other facilities
- Full A4 sheet of rules and conditions (all very reasonable in my opinion). These rules cover things like expected upkeep of the allotment, burning of waste and conduct etc
- Twice yearly inspection of all plots by allotment association

Eblana

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 10:18 »
I am on a private allotment site in Ireland, where the provision of council run sites is very limited. 

I have a 250 Sq Yard plot (not sure what that is in rods but it is a full plot I presume) and I pay 320 Euro c£250 per annum.  We have to provide our own fencing and sheds (both available from the site owner 350 Euro for shed and 250 Euro for fencing but you own these and can take them with you if you leave and you are not obliged to buy them from him or at all in fact), he also has scaff planks and wood available for raised beds.  There is good parking space and toilet/hand washing facilities and a communal composting area.  We have a water tap for every 3/4 plots.  The site owner looks after all the communal spaces and provides farmyard manure 3 to 4 times a year.  We don't have a shop but four or five times a year a guy does come to the site and sells plug plants, fruit bushes etc.  The site owner has some large motor tools available to rent (Rotovator, Strimmer etc. at a rate of 10 Euro per day).

We don't have a committee but some of us are actively looking at grouping together to look at social activities etc.

Having just read what you are all paying I feel a little hard done by  :( but in fairness I have checked around and in fact I am getting a fairly good deal for where I am, there is another site after opening up locally and they are charging 200 Euro for a 50 Sq Yard plot and 300 for a 100 Sq Yard plot with no facilities what so ever.  for me it is not about the cost it is about the enjoyment I get out of it. :)

xx
Annual costs

Started by Comfry_Kid on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 31, 2006, 19:25
by kiowa
xx
newbie hello...costs

Started by clifford149 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 04, 2007, 18:09
by king cauli
xx
Suprised with peat free costs

Started by SpudtheBinx on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 01, 2009, 19:26
by celjaci
xx
new allotment

Started by oldtimer on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 01, 2007, 11:24
by mushroom

Page created in 0.528 seconds with 38 queries.