allotment costs

• 50 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: allotment costs
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 10:44 »
Mine is a Council owned site and they charge £18pa (free for pensioners) for my 35 x 25ft apx plot.

The Council provide water from March - October - for which I'm eternally grateful, as we have sandy soil  ;) and will fill empty/non cultivated plots quickly from the long waiting list. (when they're reported by the gent who's the rep. )

There is a metal fenced perimeter and locked gates, so we're fairly secure, and you provide your own small shed or tool store. Small greenhouses are also allowed but have to ask permission for them (and the shed.)

BabbyAnn

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 11:33 »
£40 pa rent, water rates £30 pa for 370sq metre plot (plot size on the site determines both rent and water rate costs)

Council owned.

We have security fencing and gates kept locked at all times/keys provided with £5 deposit (spare/lost keys cost £20)

Tenants taking on plots bordering on to hedgerows are expected to keep them trimmed as part of their tenancy agreement.  This affects about 4 plots on our site - not surprisingly, these plots have a high turnover of tenants and often left vacant except during the peak of the waiting lists.

We have a garden shop for fertilisers/compost/seeds/canes etc which is run by volunteers - any profits given to the named charity of the annual show.  Prices generally are much cheaper than garden centre etc but not everything is competitive eg compost.

We have an annual show (mid August) for all residents in the area (eg best garden etc) and allotments run by and organised by the local garden association where money raised from raffles and competitions etc go to a named charity that year eg a local hospice, guide dogs etc.

There are no toilets or free compost/manure etc.  When you take a plot on, you are offered a one off clearance at the beginning - if you wait for the council, it can take up to 12-18 months and will be a bulldozer job.  Clear it yourself and leave the rubbish near the track side and eventually the council will take it away.  Thereafter all waste generated after that is your responsibility and if this is left and seen as intolerable or a hazard, you can be penalised (as in evicted)  If you later find eg asbestos on your plot some time after the initial clearance, the council have to take it away.

There is no expectation of a community share - you pay rent for a plot and if that is all you want then that is up to you.  The annual show can throw up surprising generosity and enthusiasm but it tends to be a little too low key and there is a certain amount of apathy - we have annual elections for the local garden association but trying to get people to fill positions is very difficult.  We have been without a site manager for over 6 months yet has not been missed ... perhaps because the role is not seen as doing anything for anyone's behalf and no-one's opinions are considered.

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 15:52 »
Council owned

250m2 approx

£18 a year approx

Unlimited water via water tank Apr-end Oct

No duties other than keep path adjacent to plot clear.

::)

simonwatson

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 16:10 »
Council Owned
Association Run
£38 for a half plot (15' X 90').
Water on site spring to autumn included in the rent.
Sensible set of rules about keeping plot neat and tidy, weed free and under cultivation.
Volunteer run shop.
Portaloo spring to autumn.
Regular working parties but no pressure to join in.

Welsh Merf

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 17:58 »
I'm still waiting to be allocated my plot on the allotments (next week hopefully), however:

10 perch plot £20/year
5 perch plot £10/year (which is what I'm getting)
£2.50/year for water
£30 deposit (in case you leave the plot in a mess if you give up)

The allotments are owned by the Town Council, but as from October 2012 will be run by the local Allotment Association (which I think will be better).
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

thestens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2012, 17:59 »
Plot size 30ft by 48ft. Single allotment no others around, it is adjacent to the Beer Garden of a pub. Maintain everything , no rules as such except no animals. No water on site but hose pipe to nearest building (25 metres away). Only cost is to allow landowner ( The landlord of the pub) to take veg and flowers for the pub restaurant.
I must also say it is very tempting to pop into the pub after a long digging session.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 18:01 by thestens »
Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 18:24 »
Many thanks to everyone who responded in such detail as well!

I think it goes to show that allotment charges vary greatly from area to area, and no doubt within an area.      Logic would suggest that in the more expensive areas of the UK the allotment cost would reflect such but there doesn't appear to be any obvious rule or logic applied to costs neither is there any set rules which are applicable or applied overall.

Thanks again to all those who responded.
Do you really need al that lettuce/

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 18:44 »
I'm feeling left out here, I don't have an allotment but I'm going to list my details anyway  ::)

Back garden about 1/2 allotment size for gardening.
Self owned no rent
Water care of outside tap
Toilet, bath and shower upstairs in house
1 car parking space
Tea, coffee and cooked meals on demand c/o the enemy
Shed or greenhouse for a snooze as and when required.
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 19:40 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

HHH

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 07:36 »
This is a fascinating thread that shows the diversity (not to say lack of consistency) in charges and permissions offered by different societies and councils.

Our own plot is 3 rods, charged at £16.80 pa (50% discount for pensioners). There are 4 water tanks serving about 30 plots - no charge for this. No other amenities are provided and the council inspect and occasionally issue warnings where plots are unattended and overgrown.

For many years the council encouraged existing plot holders to take on additional plots rather than advertise vacancies, but this policy has now been reversed and the multiple plot holders have in some cases had to release plots back to the council for reassignment: my own small plot is one of these cases.

mobilekat

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 08:45 »
Much like The Kergan, I too feel left out...

Back garden, on 60 degree slope, so need mountain goat to farm successfully, but is about 40x70 foot, but largest flat patch is only 8x8 feet! Terracing is the way!
Self owned no rent- other than Blueberries to OH
Water care of outside tap
Toilet,and washing facilities in house
1 car parking space
Tea and squash on tap
No access to garden except through house, and up lots of steps.
- this has made me realise if/when we move we will have a garden with vehicular access as I am beginning to loath carrying bags of compost up the stairs!

I find hearing about the allotments to be fascinating, and wish I had time to have one, but all are miles away and due to work dont have time to do both!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Wellpotty1

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 13:58 »
Council run site been going for 40+ years
wire fence & gates to lock £5 deposit for key
Not sure on size of plot but will prob fit 20 x 1metre by 3 metre beds when all cleared. Have 10 so far.
£26 per annum was told that the bill will come in September.
Parking inside gate
Path/road on a loop through the plots so can stop car at front of plot to unload.
Port -a loo- always has paper & foot flush - not sure who sorts this out.
Has been mention of a manure/compost delivery but not sure of the cost.
Was told that the council used to strim the road & take away a trailer of weeds but no longer have the funds so do your own.
Can have sheds & greenhouses, some have polytunnels.
Water taps about, theres one at my gate; prob turned off in winter.
Shop in a container open on a Sat am, was told its expensive.
Lots of friendly neighbours, most people have a "hello".
Kiwifruit

lizt

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 20:25 »
private owned site, 150 yrs established.

my little plot of approx 36ft x 36ft,
no water, no nowt, £15 per year.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 20:41 »
site owed by charitable trust
water long walk
10 pole £15.00
1/2 price oap
lock gate
no selling produce
no subletting
no livestock
brilliant view fantastic wildlife.
all communial areas maintained by the trust.
i'm chuffed
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 20:42 »
£7.50 per year
my plots are  roughly 90 metres long  by 15 feet wide added together i have two
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 20:44 by flitwickone »

xx
newbie hello...costs

Started by clifford149 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 04, 2007, 18:09
by king cauli
xx
Annual costs

Started by Comfry_Kid on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 31, 2006, 19:25
by kiowa
xx
Suprised with peat free costs

Started by SpudtheBinx on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 01, 2009, 19:26
by celjaci
xx
My noo allotment

Started by MJS on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 21:06
by MJS

Page created in 0.46 seconds with 38 queries.