rotisserie chicken recipes?

• 3 Replies

starry

rotisserie chicken recipes?
« on: August 16, 2012, 18:25 »
hello I have just had a quick 5 mins trawl through the Internet for recipes but I am not sure about any of them  ???   I have a new oven with a rotisserie and am desperate to try it any one got any recipe's they can recommend please  :)
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

Mrs Bee

Re: rotisserie chicken recipes?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 20:01 »
I have treated myself to a rotisserie for the BBQ and have found a most marvellous book on AMazon.  I am sure the recipes would be suitable to use for your oven.

I have a guinea fowl on the BBQ as I type.
Apparently the most impostant thing is to treat your chicken with a dry brine for four hours or overnight or use a wet brine for at least 4 hours. That way the seasoning gets right into the flesh of the chicken.

The boook is Rotisserie grilling by Mike Vrobel.

He also has a website with recipes DadCooksDinner.com which has  recipes too. I thought they all looked really good.

I haven't got any favourite tried out recipes yet as I have only just started using a basic brine with herbs, garlic and spices etc and haven't written them down yet.

But so far I can recommend this book and website.

When I have had more experience with this method of cooking I will send you some recipes.
Hope this helps for now.

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 21:12 »
I reckon my bbq marinade would do you proud.  I make it up as follows (1 part = 1 tablespoon or egg cup or whatever measure you choose for the number of people you're feeding).

1 measure each of the following:
Vegetable or Olive Oil
Cider Vinegar or Lemon Juice
Soy Sauce
Tomato Ketchup
Fresh Chopped Garlic
Plus:  Half a measure of Chinese 5-Spice Powder, and a dollop of ginger paste

Marinade the meat or veg (chicken sweet peppers and whole chestnut mushrooms are particularly good done like this).  Allow the excess marinade to drain off, then thread on to skewers (or in your case your rotisserie) and bbq or roast accordingly.  Place a large roasting tin or similar under the rotisserie to catch the drips and avoid prolonged cleaning the following day!!

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 21:15 by cheshirecheese »

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 10:57 »
That sounds good Cheshire. Will give that a go.

Here is a basic chicken spice rub
1/2 tablespoon sea salt (1/2 the quantity if using table salt)
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsps sweet or smoked paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1tsp ground corialder
1/2 tsp ground cummin
1/4 tspcayenne or chilli

Mix the ingredients, rub thickly over the chicken and if possible push some under the skin next to the breast meat and inside the chicken.

Leave to marinate overnight.
This acts like a dry brine which takes the seasoning right through the meat. You should leave this on the chicken for at least 4 hours not less or the salt will pull all the moisture from the meat. After 4 hours the science of the thing pulls the moisture back into the meat with the flavourings.

This is how a wet brine works too. I have been trying wet brines out for a couple of weeks now and the moistness and the flavour of the chicken is greatly enhanced.

A basic brine to start with, to which you can add herbs, spices a liquid smoke is
2 pints water
1/2 a cup of table salt or 1 cup of sea salt
6-8 cloves garlic skin on and crushed
3 bay leaves crushed
1 tablespoon of crushed black pepper

this recipe has 1/4 cup brown sugar in too but I leave it out as I don't like the idea of sweet meat!

Again leave at least 4 hours or better still over night.

I add chopped fresh herbs  if I want a Sunday dinner type of flavour,
or herbs and liquid smoke and then use the chicken rub above minus the salt if I want a BBQ type flavour,
or for an oriental flavour I use some cinnamon sticks and crushed star anise.

I know it sound a faff with the marinating but if you can be bothered it really lifts the the flavour of the chicken.

A Canadian friend put me onto the idea of brining meat for improved moistness and flavour.

xx
300 Chicken recipes

Started by Fredjones on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

31 Replies
Last post December 05, 2009, 11:02
by Yabba
xx
Chicken recipes with turmeric curries very healthy

Started by btissam on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post December 04, 2009, 19:27
by Poolfield2
xx
Recipes

Started by Val H on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post November 25, 2008, 21:31
by Beetroot queen
smiley
recipes

Started by phil-c on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 19, 2010, 18:17
by phil-c

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 38 queries.