how long to keep fertile eggs?

• 8 Replies

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
how long to keep fertile eggs?
« on: August 16, 2012, 10:50 »
not sure if my little hen is getting broody again, she has a 5 week old chick that she has now lost interest in. She seems to be seperated from the others and is spending time on her nest, I didnt even realise that she was laying again!

So the question is, I have today removed the eggs from under her 3 (one laid daily), she has spent some time sitting on these but not constant, but was obviously on them overnight, I understand the best way to hatch a clutch is to take the eggs away and then put them back under once she is sitting constantly.

My questions are: the 3 eggs that I took away today will they be spoilt from going hot/cold etc. Do I leave a plastic egg in there so she recognises that there is something still there. If I take the eggs away until she sits constantly how long can I leave these before I put them back under her - i.e will 14 eggs (2 weeks be too long  - probably be too many but just an example)

My last two hatchings have only resulted in one chick so I am trying to get this right from the outset.

Thanks

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: how long to keep fertile eggs?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 14:09 »
Sorry I don't know the answers to the egg questions.  I would be concerned about your broody though as it is very early for her to sit and raise another brood again.  She will still be recovering from the last batch.  You might be better to build her up so she has enough strength to raise another brood. 

My little broody has just hatched her second brood this year but had a 3 month break inbetween sittings.  Her sister has just gone broody and that is 4 months after her last brood hatched.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 17:20 »
She did share her sitting and raising of her chick with another hen, she looks fine and didnt lose too much condition weight etc. Not sure actually if she is broody or maybe she was just waiting a while and passing an egg this morning, she came out around 10am and has been out since!

thanks though! I would still like to know these answers for next time.

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 17:40 »
My other broody didn't sit on her eggs until she was happy with the clutch.  Maybe yours will do the same.   :)

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 08:33 »
Mine did that too alst time, hence I think why mine was unsuccesful as I had many eggs laid on different days, being hot and cold etc. My neighbour said to take them away and put them back altogether so that day 21 falls together, but I dont understand if they taken away how will she ever be happy with her clutch of eggs!

Shes out again today:-) phew!!

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 08:47 »
It would have been too soon for her to sit again as it really takes a lot out of them. Silkies are notorious though for being broody.

Eggs will remain fertile for up to 20 or so days. However, best to get the eggs back under her within 7 days. I have just had a hatch and put golf balls under her until I had the number of eggs I wanted and them just very gently one at a time swopped them over.

Personally, I would not hatch now as it is a little late in the season but it depends on your circumstances and I note you are in France so may have better weather. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 11:17 »
Personally, I would not hatch now as it is a little late in the season but it depends on your circumstances and I note you are in France so may have better weather. :)

I have a broody who is sat on 7 possibly fertile eggs (young cockerels!)  She has been sat for a couple of days but I don't want to break her broodiness.  What would be the disadvantages of a hatch at this time of the year Sassy?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 12:10 »
with a broody you should be fine Anhbuc as they have their broody mum to keep them warm when they hatch. The nights are now drawing in and the temperatures are dropping at night so if you hatch with a incubator then you will need to keep them indoors and with heat for longer.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 14:57 »
 :D :D Thanks for that joyfull, they are probably not fertile but I will wait and see.  Can always sneak some chicks under her in none hatch!  :wub:

xx
How long are eggs fertile for?

Started by HairyBear on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 01, 2009, 17:53
by joyfull
xx
Are all eggs fertile?

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 19:24
by babe
xx
OMG my eggs are fertile help!!!!

Started by chicken george25 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 08:00
by bood77
xx
Too many fertile eggs!!

Started by 4179alison on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 28, 2011, 13:19
by joyfull

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 37 queries.