I've bordeaux mixed my tomatoes- update

• 27 Replies

missmoneypenny

I've bordeaux mixed my tomatoes- update
« on: August 15, 2012, 19:38 »
The probably inevitable has happened- today I dug up all my marmandes and the san marzanos that were growing in the same patch. The blight (or tomato plague as I like to call it) was rampant and the Bordeaux mix really didn't halt it.
It's depressing but I'm already thinking how to bounce back next year. Ferline/ legend? Only doing cherry toms? Just growing tomatoes in my backyard, where blight has never struck? (I think the allotment, with its rich mix of pathogens coming from other plots, is a more challenging environment).
I have left in some San marzanos, which are at the other end of the plot, and don't seem so badly affected, although I can already see some nasty looking dark patches on the stems.

I think we need to put our heads together on this problem. I'd like to hear what others are doing because the rainy, mild summers seem to be getting more common and are of course just right for the blight.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: I've bordeaux mixed my tomatoes- update
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 19:44 »
I think the only option is to construct a poly cover to keep the rain off. Saying that, blight has been really bad this year and has got inside some tunnels and greenhouses >:(

Some tomatoes are a bit blight resistant, but that means they're less likely to get it - but they can, as many of us have found out!

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 09:17 »
My plot toms have all got blight and are outside. I've noticed that on our site tomatoes are rarely grown outside - all are either greenhoused or polytunnelled.  I'd be interested to hear whether this usually (this year excepting!) keeps them safe as I don't have a garden and having copious tomatoes was one of my newbie allotment dreams!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 09:44 »
With the drought conditions in spring, blight was very late getting established last year and many were OK with outdoor tomatoes, but this year was always going to be very bad for blight given the amount of rain we had, so avoiding it is partly a matter of luck, partly trying preventative spraying if you are willing to do that, and partly playing the percentages to try to tip the odds in your favour.

Growing under cover provides some physical protection from the airborne spores, and also helps keeps the foliage dry so that any spores which do find their way in are unlikely to germinate, which is why careful watering (don't wet the foliage) and good ventilation are both important.

Next year of course the weather will be absolutely perfect for growing everything!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 12:26 »
Next year of course the weather will be absolutely perfect for growing everything!  ;)

says he hopefully  ;)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 14:52 »
I said that last year.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 15:12 »
So did I.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 21:43 »
fingers toes and everything else crossed, touch wood the geenhouse is so far blight free ! and atleast I have managed to get a few pounds off them , however outside and in the poly tunnel devestation All I can think of is that the door faces east and I have not had any vents open ???
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 22:12 »
Pulled my outdoor tomatoes out today - the GH ones seem OK so far.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 22:21 »
botrytis is in the greenhouse here.  Outdoor toms hit with blight and binned, with one sole survivor, though somewhat baldy  :nowink: 

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 06:41 »

Same here, Angela. Fingers crossed for the greenhouse ones.

Still have about a dozen outside plants on 'The Plot', but they're looking decidedly wary...

Lost 43 plants to date!

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 20:01 »

Still have about a dozen outside plants on 'The Plot', but they're looking decidedly wary...

Lost 43 plants to date!

Gutting, I will be really down if I lose my GH crops as they are pretty laden at the moment.  Luckily (rather than by design) the GH door faces in the opposite direction to the sea breezes and it's these that I am convinced blow blight across the site.

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 21:18 »

Lost 43 plants to date!

Gutting, I will be really down if I lose my GH crops as they are pretty laden at the moment.  Luckily (rather than by design) the GH door faces in the opposite direction to the sea breezes and it's these that I am convinced blow blight across the site.

Amazing! I'm working on that principle too  - hoping the wind blows the other way! Sad for the others, bu they're our toms after all!

GHouse got a shower of Bordeaux yesterday - it's either us or them I'm afraid!

missmoneypenny

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 21:19 »
Anyone tried Ferline/ Legend this year? Any varieties thought to be the worst for blight, or doesn't it make much of a difference?

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 21:28 »
Anyone tried Ferline/ Legend this year? Any varieties thought to be the worst for blight, or doesn't it make much of a difference?

Time will tell Miss Moneypenny, and please believe me, an ageing Growster just gets all pleased to see your name in lights!

Mrs Growster just laughs, and suggests another glass of Wincarnis...;0)

xx
I've just bordeaux mixed my toms

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 10, 2012, 14:18
by mumofstig
xx
I Bordeaux mixed my toms yesterday

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 21:44
by DD.
xx
Mixed up my tomatoes!

Started by ex-cavator on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 11:25
by tosca100
xx
Mixed up Cordon and Determinate Tomatoes

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 16:05
by Lardman

Page created in 0.655 seconds with 39 queries.