Are you Crafty ??

• 1184 Replies

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: Are you Crafty ??
« Reply #645 on: March 30, 2014, 11:17 »
Beautiful quilt Trills :)

Vey jealous - can't wait to have a go at quilting, but it will be a more simple pattern than your beautiful design :)

snowdrops

« Reply #646 on: March 30, 2014, 13:08 »
Beautiful quilt Trills :)

Vey jealous - can't wait to have a go at quilting, but it will be a more simple pattern than your beautiful design :)

Log cabin is a good one to start with Emma,just cut into strips, or strip quilting's another,I've got a pattern I can send you for that if you like.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #647 on: March 30, 2014, 13:21 »
I think my friend Jo's quilt was strips. I like hexagons myself :)
But thanks you Snowy :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #648 on: March 30, 2014, 13:29 »
The one I started is a Crown quilt block  ;)

snowdrops

« Reply #649 on: March 30, 2014, 13:33 »

Hexagons are for pieced patchwork,just choose a size of hexagon,cut same paper shapes out the finished size,cut material bigger & tack to the papers press before or after,then stitch together right sides together with an oversewn stitch. When all done remove tackings & papers  & sew onto a cushion cover or put a border on & quilt.

Trillium

« Reply #650 on: March 30, 2014, 18:14 »
Trillium, are you making it in the same Autumn colour shades, as the pattern, so it will be ok for boy or girl?

Yes, I'm doing similar colours to the picture shown. We don't know the sex yet so I make them gender neutral. That way they can pass them to their own kids in the future. Granny will likely have popped her clogs by then and won't be making more  ;) :D

This is the one I did for first granddaughter in very similar colours. The backing was dark fabric with all sorts of bugs and frogs on it, really cute but not babyish: HERE
I did take a pic of the finished quilt but not sure where it went.

Anyone trying the hexagon quilts, I highly recommend you do a pillow size first to see if you can manage all the hand sewing. It's pretty tedious and I know too many people who quickly gave up on full sized quilts and the investment. Cathedral windows is another hand sewn quilt that takes determined commitment.

As for fabric, I prefer personal shopping so I can be sure the shades work together properly. Sometimes you find a print/colour you fall in love with but then can't find harmonious colours to work with it. For the current quilt, I found almost the same print for the appliqued leaves, but nothing for the rest of the quilt so had to put it back and find others. For the dark inner border I really wanted a mossy colour but despite the hundreds of bolts of green the shop had, none were in that shade (not fashionable at the moment).  ::)

Once the baby quilt is done I'll be starting THIS ONE because I have so many scraps in boxes that I really need to use them up and have some shelf space  :D    The alternate name for this quilt pattern is bear claws.

Trillium

« Reply #651 on: March 30, 2014, 18:44 »
Ahh, knew I'd find the link eventually. HERE

I'll be starting this for youngest son who plans to marry in the near future. They love blue so this is perfect. Not a novice quilt in case anyone wants to try it.

snowdrops

« Reply #652 on: March 30, 2014, 19:44 »
All of those quilts are lovely Trills,what a lucky family you have to receive one of those from you. I know what you mean about needing to see the fabric yourself, the only thing with that is you end up buying fabrics you didn't intend to  :lol:
We've just come back from dinner at our sons & partner & here is what she made me for Mother's Day

Aren't they lovely. She's just getting into crafts & sewing having taught herself to knit a couple of years ago.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #653 on: March 30, 2014, 21:02 »
They are gorgeous! I really want to make a quilt - I love hand sewing but can't machine sew to save my life and so dismissed quilts for that reason. Is there a good quilt design/pattern you would recommend for a beginner?

snowdrops

« Reply #654 on: March 30, 2014, 21:05 »
You can get simple books to start you off or I bet there's loads on YouTube. Hexagons are a good starting place & then add the patchwork to a cushion cover or a bag. You can buy a metal stencil that gives you the material template & the paper piece template.

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #655 on: March 30, 2014, 22:01 »

Hexagons are for pieced patchwork,just choose a size of hexagon,cut same paper shapes out the finished size,cut material bigger & tack to the papers press before or after,then stitch together right sides together with an oversewn stitch. When all done remove tackings & papers  & sew onto a cushion cover or put a border on & quilt.

I wish I had the time though!! :D
I have a million projects (work, craft and garden) that I'm already behind with!! ::)

snowdrops

« Reply #656 on: March 30, 2014, 22:08 »

I wish I had the time though!! :D
I have a million projects (work, craft and garden) that I'm already behind with!! ::)

Me too by about 3 years  :wacko: :wacko:

Trillium

« Reply #657 on: March 31, 2014, 02:15 »
 :D Actually, most of my quilting friends carry work bags around with them - pieces of handsewn quilt tops they can work on while they wait at doctor/dentist appts, sports with the kids, etc. Amazing how much you can accomplish in a half hour here and there. It's also relaxing at down-time at night rather than telly.

Snowdrops, those are really nice flowers you got. spray the tops with some sort of clear lacquer and you can keep them easily dusted over the years.

Debz

« Reply #658 on: March 31, 2014, 09:30 »
Beautiful quilt Trillium.  I've just started quilting and love to sit in the evening with it.

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #659 on: March 31, 2014, 21:40 »
Everyones' quilting except me  :(

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 52 queries.