How far does one splash travel?

• 36 Replies

Mrs Bee

Re: How far does one splash travel?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 14:03 »
Thank you so much. This looks great. :) :)
Will it be OK to use fresh tomatoes do you think?

I am so fortunate that I live near a Chinese cash and carry, a Turkish food centre and lots of Asian  shops.
Thank you again for the recipe. :D

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 14:41 »
You're very welcome! :)

As for using fresh tomatoes, yes, absolutely - in fact the original recipe from which I adapted this specified the same quantity of fresh cherry tomatoes, but I guess toms of any description would be fine as long as they're ripe.  ;)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 18:04 »
Thank you again for the recipe CHeshire, it was a real humdinger.

Don't usually make a full recipe of a new chutney, 'cos I have been bitten on the derriere too often with some foul recipes and wasted ingredients, but I am so glad I went for the full recipe here. :D

My son the chilli conisseur said it was gorgeous and he hopes that he gets to eat some of it and it is not all for sale.

He also suggested I make some more with a smoke flavour to it. I don't know everyone's a critic. :wacko:
DSCF0959.jpg
DSCF0959.jpg

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 10:42 »
Glad you've enjoyed it - it's certainly the most popular of the ones that I make!  :D

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 13:16 »

I had a large plastic (three pinter approx) P.E.P. bottle full of damson juice I was keeping,  that is until it decided the internal pressure was greater than the strength of the bottle.

After washing the walls and ceiling and the floor of the kitchen and then repainting the same, it looks as though nothing has happened. :ohmy:

Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Mrs Bee

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 15:03 »
Oh gawd, ain't it always the way.

Still waiting for a gap in the cooking to have my ceiling repainted by OH as it looks as if something nasty happened.  :lol:

Trillium

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 21:06 »
We don't do chutneys and things and I wonder exactly what you'd use the chili jam for?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 10:52 »
Its called jam Trillium, but its a savoury, spicy relish that is very useful to have around  :)

I have made something very similar to the chilli jam recipe and it was lovely with hot foods like sausages or grilled chicken.  

It was also nice with cheese as a peppy addition to a sandwich or spread on the bread and under the cheese in cheese on toast  :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2012, 12:13 »
We don't do chutneys and things and I wonder exactly what you'd use the chili jam for?

Oh you are missing out if you don't have chutneys :(

A chutney , cheese, or pate, or cold meat, or hot or cold sausages with salted butter and crusty bread is a thing of great beauty.

Perhaps you should start a trend over there. ;)

At a village fair where I was selling my preserves an American lady bought some chutney to take back to America 'cos she said that they didn't have them over there.

Butternut squash, red onion and chilli I think it was.

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 12:44 »

It's wonderful with cheese on toast, also great with bbq sausages and home-made burgers.  It's called chilli 'jam' because the consistency is jam-like and there's a certain similarity in the cooking process ... however, I wouldn't recommend it on scones for your afternoon tea!!!  Having said that, my friend's son loves it so much he does actually spread it on his toast in the morning just like you would a fruit jam!!     :lol:  :wacko: ::)

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2012, 13:08 »
... another thing you can do is to coat a piece of chicken with it (chicken quarters, for instance) and bake in the oven - it acts as a sort of marinade and coating all at the same time  :)

Trillium

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2012, 13:41 »
Okay, I'm now enlightened   8)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2012, 13:46 »
Okay, I'm now enlightened   8)

And are you going to have a go at making some? ;)

Trillium

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2012, 21:08 »
I think I might try one batch of chili jam (easy on the heat for us) and see if the family likes it.

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2012, 21:46 »
I think I might try one batch of chili jam (easy on the heat for us) and see if the family likes it.

The recipe I posted is really not too hot, Trillium, but if you're at all nervous about the chilli, just stick with the fresh ones and leave out the chilli flakes  ;)

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 37 queries.