when and how to manure.

• 5 Replies

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
when and how to manure.
« on: August 09, 2012, 07:36 »
My manure delivered ealier this year, which i layered with cardboard, appears to have rotted down well, crumbly and no smell, I'm aiming not to dig. I have small beds 4' wide most of which are full with winter crops eg leeks sprouts articokes ect. the others beetroot and courgettes and sweecorn I plan to follow on with ow crops, onions, garlic and beans peas so when and how do I manure Oct/ Nov forking imbetween plants? Or concentrate on doing in the spaces as I lift parsnips carrots leeks ect and as I replace the summer crops with the ow crops. Which plants benefit most from manure not roots or beans.
I'm not big on spuds, none this year, may try a few next year.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Goosegirl

Re: when and how to manure.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 16:55 »
I wouldn't put it on anything planted as the nitrogen will feed them and maybe give sappy growth which you don't want for ow veg. I'd put it on spare areas and let the winter weather work to give you a nice tilth next spring.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 19:45 »
This is the problem I dont have spare area's they are almost all full with winter crops 0r spring crops. I only have spare areas once the crops are eaten and most. might not be cleared until march or april ie leeks and parsnips

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 22:06 »
Rachel, I also aim to have little empty space, but in reality end up with the beds that are going to have beans/ peas in, and the squashes & sweetcorn are mainly empty over winter (and my to-be-potato beds, but you donlt grow potatoes, I know)

These are the ones I put any manure I have onto, and mix it in lightly to the top few inches - some leave it to the worms  :).

If it is well rotted, then you can add it to the ground shortly before planting these crops, as they are greedy feeders.

I also add some BFB as manure gives so much nitrogen and I like to balance this a bit.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Madame Cholet

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 22:18 »
Rachel, I also aim to have little empty space, but in reality end up with the beds that are going to have beans/ peas in, and the squashes & sweetcorn are mainly empty over winter (and my to-be-potato beds, but you donlt grow potatoes, I know)

These are the ones I put any manure I have onto, and mix it in lightly to the top few inches - some leave it to the worms  :).

If it is well rotted, then you can add it to the ground shortly before planting these crops, as they are greedy feeders.

I also add some BFB as manure gives so much nitrogen and I like to balance this a bit.

I have wood ash from the fire and could add bonemeal for a balance.

I guess if its really well rotted its easier to apply too.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 09:26 »
Bonemeal could go on anytime, but make sure you only add the woodash in the spring as tbh the potassium leaches through the soil really easily, and it might rain a lot in the winter  :D

I cover my empty beds for that reason, although I know lots of people prefer other means, such as green manure, I just cover them with black plastic weighted with bricks and the soil appears in Spring ready to go, wit the odd weed seed;ing or shoot from  a perennial to uproot.

There are no issues with lack of air getting to the soil as it is far from airtight  :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 09:28 by sunshineband »

xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Llama Manure and Manure in general

Started by Ace on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2011, 15:09
by Ace
xx
Green Manure and Animal Manure

Started by AllotmentTom19 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 22:47
by Muddylou

Page created in 0.457 seconds with 37 queries.