Lost Bernard..........

• 12 Replies

Prod

Lost Bernard..........
« on: August 08, 2012, 11:00 »
This morning when I went to the coop I found my lovely Buff Sussex, Bernard, dead in the nest box.  She had shown no signs of ilness and had laid every day inc yesterday. She had been wormed and appeared to be in good health. She was a big bird with beautiful feathering and thick legs like a turkey (hence Bernard)  She had a lovely personality and had recently taken to mothering, or at least looking after, my two new birds.  It is so sad I feel really daft at my age being upset.  We buried her in the Churhyard next to the cottage and put lots of stones on top, thanked her for being so funny and bringing us pleasure as well as eggs.  I guess its just nature but....... :( :( :(

PaulineM

Re: Lost Bernard..........
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:28 »
 :(
At least it seems she passed peacefully. It is surprising how much you grow to love them but take comfort in knowing how much they were loved and well looked after  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 11:44 »
Often a seemingly healthy hen can just die for no apparent reason- usually it is through something like a heart attack or old age. There is nothing that could have been done to prevent this happening so please take comfort from knowing that you gave Bernard the best life she could have wished for and in return she gave you a gift of her eggs  :).  most of us shed a tear or two when we lose our lovely hens xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 11:45 »
So sad and such a shock with no preparation. My sympathies.  :(

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 12:57 »
 :( So sorry Prod, hang on to those memories they are like fairy dust and should be treasured. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Prod

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 19:11 »
Thanks for your replies  It's a shame as she wasnt even a year old   but hey ho! :( :(

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 21:17 »
That must have made it a real shock for you.   :(

Have just read this post so you might want to check for red mite.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=97655.0
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 21:28 by ANHBUC »

jinty1911

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 21:58 »
Please check for red mite.  I didn't realise they could kill a prefectly health chicken over night until now x

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 22:33 »
Please check for red mite.  I didn't realise they could kill a prefectly health chicken over night until now x

Have just checked mine and luckily no signs but thanks for the heads up.  Will be checking more regularly from now on.   ;)

Prod

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 10:44 »
Well I clean the coop every other day and change dry bedding/woodshavings etc twice a week and always dust with Diatom inc perches and havent ever seen anything.  Once a month I spray inside and out with Poultry Shield and then dust again. I dust the girls with Diatom and, where they sunbathe (when they can !!!)  I put powder.  Last night after they had settled I went down to the field with a torch and looked very closely around and I coudnt see anything.  The coop is traditional looking tanalised wood but with a plastic  floor to inside & nest boxes and an Opaline roof.  Is there anything else I could do??

ANHBUC

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 10:49 »
It all sounds fine to me.  Do you have plenty of ventilation for them in the coop?

Prod

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 17:05 »
I think so  The opaline roof is corrugated so there are gaps all the way round, if that makes sense.

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 22:47 »
Perfect.   ;)

xx
just lost fav hen

Started by iowrooster on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 20:54
by grumpydad
xx
A sad lost

Started by em&hens on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 28, 2008, 13:16
by Jellyhead
xx
Probably lost the first hen :(

Started by DeadlyNightshade on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 09:21
by Vember
xx
lost a hen, so mad with myself

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 10, 2012, 09:32
by CattinJ

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 38 queries.