Club Root Resistant Seed Varieties

• 4 Replies

ryetek

Club Root Resistant Seed Varieties
« on: August 06, 2012, 12:45 »
Both of our allotment plots are (unfortunately) infested with club root. This year we have lost a fair few plants due to club root. We've followed lots of advice such as growing on the plants as big as possible before planting out and liming etc. However one thing we have not tried yet is club root resistant varieties of seed.

It's easy to find club root resistant cabbage and cauliflower seed varieties but does any one know of any club root resistant calabrese, broccoli and sprout varieties? It's hard to find any "official" club root resistant varieties for these vegetables but we've found that Dwarf Green Curled kale (as an example) does well against club root even though there are no claims on the packet. Perhaps calabrese, broccoli and sprouts are the same if you know the varieties to grow.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Paul.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 12:46 by ryetek »

Kleftiwallah

Re: Club Root Resistant Seed Varieties
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 13:02 »

The thing to do is start the seeds off as normal and then transplant into known steralised soil for longer than normal waiting until the plants have a good root system to withstand the club root.

Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 14:07 »
I can't see any broccoli/calabrese varieties resistant to clubroot, but how about Crispus?  I've not grown it myself.

My other plot was badly infected with clubroot much to the annoyance of my friend who shared the plot but he used to heavily lime the soil and he never had any problems after that.  When you consider the price of the clubroot resistant seeds (£££s for just a few seeds compared to pennies for 100s of seeds), horticultural lime is relatively cheap in comparison and enables you to grow different varieties without being restricted to just a few.

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 08:24 »
I have grown both Crispis. and Cornus Brussels for the last two years ,and they taste good and stand through the winter to Febuary .Most plot holders on our site grow them and they do what they say no clubroot.
bazial

ryetek

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 10:03 »
Thank you for all your replies.

Next year I think I will grow on my brassicas in to 13cm pots (instead of 9cm pots as I did this year) and will also lime the ground more thickly. I'll probably give the club root resitant seed varieties a try also although they are more expensive.

xx
Club Root Resistant Cauliflower - Clapton

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post December 10, 2008, 19:01
by AdsaM
xx
Club root resistant brussels sprouts?

Started by aspley on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 15:32
by aspley
xx
Slug resistant varieties

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 23:08
by mumofstig
xx
Carrot fly resistant varieties

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 22:04
by gobs

Page created in 1.371 seconds with 36 queries.