Bad advice on blight from Monty?

• 10 Replies

Salmo

Bad advice on blight from Monty?
« on: August 04, 2012, 00:45 »
I listened to Monty on GW this evening getting it all wrong about potatoes with blight.

He yanked the tops out of the ground disturbing the soil which would expose the potatoes to spores. Cut them off neatly with as little disturbance as possible is the usual advice.

He then advised to dig them all up immediatly, thus exposing them to spores again, rather than the standard advice of leaving them in the ground for a couple of weeks to allow any spores on the soil surface to die.

He further advised not growing potatoes in the same bed next year to prevent blight. As far as I know blight does not stay in the soil except in groud keepers. Does anyone grow potatoes in the same bed anyway?

allot2learn

Re: Bad advice on blight from Monty?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 01:04 »
Monty, obviously does.

You've got it right as far as I know!!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 06:31 »
I also wondered at the part of his advice saying ideally burn them, if you can't then take them to your council green waste. Does this not get made into compost by many councils? I don't know if ours does I suspect not, but if I took mine to the council waste, I would have the option of a grass bin, one for prunings and one labelled "other". Would any of those be appropriate for blighted potato haulms? Would the little man in the kiosk know the answer?
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 07:53 »
We've had blight on adjoining plots recently, so as a precaution, we chopped down the spud haulms, and I've bagged them up to donate to the council this w/e.

Their compost heap is presumably going to get hot enough to kill everything (let's hope it does with things like Japanese Knotweed etc), so I'm sure spores will perish as well.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 08:21 »
I've bagged them up to donate to the council this w/e.

Their compost heap is presumably going to get hot enough to kill everything

That is the hope Growster, but I think it is fairly uncontrolled advice nonetheless.

Kirpi

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 08:30 »
ok to compost blighted foliage as the spores have nothing to live on over winter so if the heap's heat doesn't get theml, the cold and starvation will.

It's blighted potatoes you want to avoid in the compost heap as they will host the spores over til next year.

Apart from that, I thin the Monty Don advice above is all wrong as you say.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 08:34 »
Yes, Monty got it wrong!
The Potato Council still advise burning blighted potato tops, so until thay change that advice that's what I'll continue to do ;)

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 08:35 »
ok to compost blighted foliage as the spores have nothing to live on over winter so if the heap's heat doesn't get theml, the cold and starvation will.

I think that's tenuous. Why advise burn or take to the council rather than bag or compost yourself?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 08:40 »
You would think that Monty would have the sense to check that what he is telling his band of followers is correct......... shame as he is usually very good.

Our council green waste gets superheated, and so would kill any nasties. It is not available back to us anyway, but used in some other way. Not sure what. Either way, it will not be spreading blight.

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 08:43 »
As far as I can see the advice to take them to the council waste facility is good. Blight will not live on dead material. Adequalty covered, so that spores cannot escape, I see no reason not to put them on your own compost heap although bagging for a while is the best way to keep them sealed.

Has anyone ever tried to burn green potato tops. The only way I can see you might do it is to have a big hot fire and drop them in one at a time. The result will be a great steaming heap to upset your neighbours.

Council compost is either used by their gardening department for landscaping or mulch, or sold for the same purpose.

Scotch Thistle

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 22:28 »
We've had blight on adjoining plots recently, so as a precaution, we chopped down the spud haulms, and I've bagged them up to donate to the council this w/e.

Their compost heap is presumably going to get hot enough to kill everything (let's hope it does with things like Japanese Knotweed etc), so I'm sure spores will perish as well.

For the record, it's illegal to move Japanese knotweed

xx
blight advice

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post August 15, 2009, 13:44
by Paul Plots
xx
Maincrop blight advice

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 02, 2020, 17:18
by Yorkie
xx
Advice please - tomato blight

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2012, 12:04
by JayG
xx
Tomato blight advice

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 10, 2020, 09:18
by JayG

Page created in 0.489 seconds with 38 queries.