Scary hens

• 6 Replies

snow white

Scary hens
« on: August 02, 2012, 17:48 »
OK. so I took the cockerel away.  Now the 2 hens left are really scared.  They were scared before, but are  neurotic now.  I put a new spring feeder in and scattered all sorts of lovely treats underneath, I have been in to show them how it works and they seemed interested.  BUT all they do is avoid it.  They grab a treat and retreat, avoiding the feeding spring.  I want to perservere with this, as it seems the best way for me to provide food without wasting any.  Its been two days and it is still frightening them.  Do I let them go hungry or should I throw food in occasionally?  I have tried meal worms, pellets, sweetcorn out of a can, wheat. And nothing can make them un-scared.  I talk to them all the time, I pick them up a couple of times a week but they are so scared now it is stressful for them.  They weren't too bad before.  Any one have any input?
HELP...

grinling

Re: Scary hens
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 22:06 »
I found that a treadle feeder needs a bit of weight. It takes time to learn to do it. I have a hanging feeder with pellets in suspended with a large wire hanging from a cane in the roof. I found mash messy and the hens fussy.
They are still getting use to life without cockerel.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 22:07 »
I have feeders like that but not scaredy hens.  I just used my fingers to peck at the spring so it released some food.  Then left them to eat the food.  I repeated this a few times and they soon got the hang of it.  They will need to see that it is a feeder and hopefully they will overcome their fear.  Good luck.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Blobbs

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 14:18 »
Hi
I put a small weight on the base of the treadle feeder, sprinkled some pellets on it and waited. They stood on the base to eat the bits I'd left and so dicovered that there was food in the feeder. After a few days I took away the weight and they understood that they had to step on it to open it. No probs.
 Good luck.

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 14:51 »
Hens are always scared  of anything new or unusual , my low tech feeder which is a saucepan on 3 legs is fine but if a clumsy hen upends it (not easy) it becomes a scary monster !

The auto door was scary, now they limbo under it when it is open 4".

Don`t worry they will not starve, the hungrier they get the braver they will become. :)

snow white

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 18:59 »
They now at least are pecking the food underneath it, just not the spring to release food.  I put a nipple drinker cap on a 2 litre bottle, hung it up and they loved it straight away.  Hens are funny creatures.  I will perservere, maybe put corn in the spring to get them interested.  And they are talking to me again.   :blush:

ehs284

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 20:54 »
Don't put corn in the spring! I thought that this would be a great idea to encourage them to use it. The result was that they ate the corn then shook the spring trying to find more corn; great pile of pellets on ground. Not quite the desired effect.

xx
Very odd and scary egg - somebody please shed some light!

Started by Sarah817 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 12:46
by Sarah817
xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Help, hens pecking at hens bottom

Started by T C on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:03
by T C

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 36 queries.