Eggs in incubator....

• 113 Replies

symonep

• Experienced Member
Re: Eggs in incubator....
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2012, 13:18 »
How * typical is this? The hen who went broody origionally who i brought the eggs for who then decided she wasnt broody at all (hence the having to buy an incubator) has now just decided that she actually is broody........ :wacko:

Wouldnt it be nice if i could just slip the new chicks under her LOL

Now do i just leave her or do i get some eggs for her? Hmmmm think we may have to try making a broody coop to snap her out of it, cant have too many chicks!
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2012, 08:14 »
You'll probably still be in luck. I had a friend who had the bulb blow on his incubator whilst he was at work. He changed it when he got home and still had a couple hatch a few days later. Best of luck to you

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2012, 11:54 »
You'll probably still be in luck. I had a friend who had the bulb blow on his incubator whilst he was at work. He changed it when he got home and still had a couple hatch a few days later. Best of luck to you
Hi, i managed to keep it going, if you have a look on the previous pages you will see the little egg is now a 2 week old chick  :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2012, 23:28 »
Need some update photos of your chicks progress.   :D
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2012, 22:53 »
Very busy few days but took some pictures today and will try and get round to putting them on tomorrow. They are growing like weeds at the moment, it is also like living with squeaky wheels!
The bantam I suspect is a boy as he is showing some really dominant behaviour, have never really taken much notice of chicks behaviour but this one is doing a lot of chest thrusting lol, it has also got its wing feathers where as the other one hasn't ( I know they are different breeds etc) and has discovered how to fly  :blink: it also hates being handled even though they have both been handled from day 1, the other one is ok at being picked up.

They spend sometime in the garden each day and if I put the heater out there they never bother with it. Do I need to start switching it off during the day at certain times?  They will be 3 weeks old on Friday.
We will put them in the shed I think in a few more weeks as they are going to out grow the rabbit hutch and they will have a heat lamp, do I remember correctly that they will need this until about 10 weeks or have I just made that up? :wacko:
Anyway they are thriving, funny and cute........noisey, messy and squeaky!

ANHBUC

« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2012, 11:41 »
If the weather is warm they will be fine without the heatlamp during the day if the hutch is in a sunny position.  I have read that it is best to ween them off the heat gradually.  You can go by their feathering for when to take them off heat but I think it is around 6 weeks.  Again depending on the weather as we had frost last week!   :ohmy:

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2012, 15:16 »
Thans, i will start weaning them off suring the day in a few weeks i think.
Its been 20 odd deg here all week and the chicks have been sunbathing which was very cute!
Here is our chich that hatched, i still think it is a she (wishfull thinking!)

Here is the bantam although it isnt a very good picture it was only taken last night and today it has far more feathers  :wacko:

any thoughts or guesses on the gender?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 15:19 by symonep »

ANHBUC

« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2012, 15:29 »
Too early to tell I think.  I have 2 turkey poults that are just over 3 weeks old and one has loads more feathers than the other.  I think it is a male as it does a little display dance every now and again.  They are different breeds so that might just be the reason.   :unsure:

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2012, 15:41 »
Its the dance thing that has me wondering more then the feathers as the bantam had feathers the day after it hatched. Only time will tell I guess  :D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 21:40 by symonep »

ANHBUC

« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2012, 16:11 »
Its not the chest thrusting mine does.  It straightens one or both wings downwards and does a little dance.  My bantam cockerels did the same dancing round the ladies.   ::) :lol:

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2012, 21:40 »
Its not the chest thrusting mine does.  It straightens one or both wings downwards and does a little dance.  My bantam cockerels did the same dancing round the ladies.   ::) :lol:
:lol:

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2012, 22:43 »
Well they were 4 weeks old on Friday and they are doing well, growing like weeds! The chick we hatch is lovely, very calm and likes to be handled, feathers are growing well. The baby bantam is a nutter, hates to be handled, can fly and is nick named road runner due to its speed! It also has nearly all it's feathers (is it too young to have its wings clipped to stop it escaping?).
They spend a good few hours outdise nearly every day if it isn't raining but the fact that the chick we hatched sits under the heat lamp a lot tells me they are no way ready for the outside world just yet.

Will post some more pics soon  :D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 22:51 by symonep »

ANHBUC

« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2012, 12:52 »
Looking forward to the pictures.   :D

Not sure about the wing clipping at that age.  One of our turkey chicks is a good flyer so I was thinking the same.  It is fine while they are with the broody as they stay close but when she looses interest in a few weeks the fun will start!!   ::) :lol:

nic_28

• Experienced Member
  • this house is fit to burstin'
    • www.facebook.com/njcooneyphotography
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2012, 14:27 »
can I just say that I really enjoyed this thread. I read every comment and got a wee bit emotional when I seen the pic of the pipping! aww well done for all your perseverance! My children were fascinated by the hatching pictures aswell, great stuff!  I really hop it is a hen. Ive got 3 fertile eggs under a broody just now, should be ok in 2 weeks! its so exciting! x
mother of 2 human children, 1 Merlin cat, 2 Lionhead Lops, a R.I.R , Buff Orpy, Light Sussex, Bluebell and  Speckeldy.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2012, 23:01 »
Aww thanks. It truly was amazing to watch, far mor exciting than I ever thought it would be. Your children will be so excited when your eggs start pipping.
Be warned, they grow like weeds!  :D

xx
four day old eggs in incubator

Started by littlefeat on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 11:41
by littlefeat
xx
Eggs for incubator

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 21:35
by meterman
xx
Eggs for Incubator

Started by Prod on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 19, 2015, 10:15
by Prod
xx
eggs in incubator

Started by chelle on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 05, 2007, 20:55
by chicksforkicks

Page created in 0.471 seconds with 28 queries.