cheep...cheep...chickies!

• 10 Replies

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
cheep...cheep...chickies!
« on: July 31, 2012, 19:28 »
candelled 14 eggs, under my broody brahma last monday and only 9 were viable (the other girls kept sneaking in and laying their eggs in her nest) so once removed and placed in her own coop - had left her to it. went to refill her water and two little heads poked out to greet me!

these two look like brahma jersey crosses as the brahmas are all gold and these little chaps (please, please be chap'ettes  :blink:  ) are black with little gold stripes on their heads!

sooooooo cute. first time chickie parents. at least now i know the big man is fertile. will keep you posted as to how many we actually end up with.

am sitting on my hands, rocking to stop myself from bothering them again!

although probably not staying - olympic themed names please me thinks....
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: cheep...cheep...chickies!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 22:26 »
Congratulations on your new chicks.  Looking forward to some really cute photos.   :D
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

grinling

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 22:33 »
congratulations

splash101

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 22:50 »
Yay, congratulations, so exciting. Look forward to the piccies  ::)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 08:26 »
cant wait for the photos - you must call the first one that crows Bradley or Wiggo  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 08:29 »
yes choose medal winners. Zara and Lizzie ect
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 13:13 »
there are 7 in total and only one pure brahma and that one will stay regardless of boy or girl :)

so far i have learnt that the black jersey gene is dominant in colouring because the earlier failed, jersey x legbar hatch had black chicks in the shell. but that the feathered feet gene is dominant as all these chicks have junior pj's!

will take pictures to see how there mature and will probably be up for homing in about 2 month's time.

loving the name suggestions - hubby thinks we should wait till after the olympics and then name them after the top 7 medal winning countries - i think it should be team GB all the way!

madcat

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 14:19 »
I can see OH's point ...  country names wouldnt need to be changed when you find out what sex they are.  Otherwise wiggo might have to become winne and zara, zeberdee  etc.  :unsure:  You could give them all girls names in hope?? ???
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 14:27 »
Oh congratulations on your chickies!Can't wait to see pics, I bet the X's are really cute. Would you share pics of them growing up with us too please?

I've just set the last hatch of the year under my broody Salmon Faverolle, she has a random selection of pure breeds under her.

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 10:09 »
will do jaks. am very interested to see the colouration and type as they grow. hubby is adamant they won't be staying so will have to make do with watching them over the next 8/9 weeks or so.

will take pictures with hubby's phone - mine sucks! - and post them soon.

madcat - if i gave them all girl names that would really be wishful thinking on my part!

am thinking of risking a small amount of money at melton next week and getting 1/2 dozen hatching eggs to retest the incubator - unless anyone has any going spare?

would anyone be interested in my logging the use and success of the lucky reptile incubator?

unfortunately the egg production here has ceased over the last 2 weeks and i can't pinpoint why - apart from one hen going through a partial neck moult :( very disappointed comparing to last year's haul.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 10:42 »
Look on the bright side shetan, that should mean more eggs over the winter.  Or is that me just wishful thinking!   :unsure:

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 40 queries.