sturon onions

• 9 Replies

A Reyt Tayty

sturon onions
« on: July 31, 2012, 13:18 »
I planted some sets of sturon onions in March. Only very little foliage showing, so I dug them up. They are exactly the same size as they were when I planted them. They look healthy enough, not rotted or anything. Do I live in Never-Never-Land where nothing grows up, or is there a reason for this spectacular failure? Will they save for sets to try next year or are they a duff lot and need whanging?

BabbyAnn

Re: sturon onions
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 13:57 »
The weather has been a little upside down this entire summer so things may not be doing what they should be.  Summer grown onions would not be ready until later anyway although have to confess they should be showing signs of bulbing up (even the last minute sets I planted at the end of April/beginning of May have reached pickling onion size now)

As for saving them to re-use next year, I'm afraid you will just end up with a flower display so not a good idea.  As for lifting them now, when you say very little foliage is that due to die back or poor growth/slug attack?  If it isn't die back, it would be worth just leaving them as long as you can.

Onions need good fertile soil in full sun hence keeping the bed weed free is important.  I'm sure there hasn't been a shortage of water this year but nutrients may have got a bit low by dilution/washed out effect and there's been that lack of warm sunshine this year.  Also on a different note, I used to lift up a mix of big and small onions until someone advised me to add potash to the soil and that seems to help but I'm not sure why.

alancas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 14:16 »
onions are about the only things to grow on my allotment this year,not too big but passable.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 19:22 »
Possibly the lack of sunshine then. They are in a spot which only gets moderate sun at the best of times. Must try harder (smacked dannies emoticon). :(

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 19:43 »
Strange - mine have done great... even with all the rain!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

fatbelly

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 20:00 »
It must be the Cheshire rain because my Onions look great.
With regards to the original post, when did you dig them up? How long were they in the ground for?

99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

stickles123

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 21:33 »
I had the same result as you, some were medium size, but others bit on the small size.
I have dug them up so at least I can put them in stews - other half hates onions anyway!

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 09:21 »
It must be the Cheshire rain because my Onions look great.
With regards to the original post, when did you dig them up? How long were they in the ground for?

Only 5 months. I suppose I didn't give 'em a chance.  ;)

superluke2

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 11:28 »
My onions have a lot of top growth still green but is flattened in the weather. Bulbs are still quite small. Will they continue to swell or am I as well to lift and dry them.  Don't want them to rot as the ground is still pretty damp.

Raven50

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 13:57 »
I have grown both Sturon and Stutgarter Giant this year, took the latter up yesterday but have left the Sturon in for another week or two...
We had an attack of Onion Fly early on this year, but a nifty bit of 'pull and burn' as soon as we realised what it was seems to have saved the majority  :)
The Stutgarter are about the size of a large clenched fist, and though I don't know if they'll store we've at least got enough to be going on with...
I will take the Sturon up sometime in the next week. They're not likely to get much bigger, I don't think, they are the size of a smaller clenched fist but plenty big enough for cooking for two with.
We also put in some Turbo, very late (mid-June) but these have romped away with no sign of onion fly attack and should make a reasonable size by autumn.
Our shallots have been a complete washout, all bolting and/or rotting where they stood. Oh well  :(
'The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.'
 A Einstein

'Everything in the Universe, stars, planets, the earth, you, me - everything is made of *Stuff*'
Prof Brian Cox

xx
When to lift Sturon Onions

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 18, 2008, 18:02
by DD.
xx
Onions, variety Sturon and the Kelsae

Started by beansticks on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 26, 2007, 23:12
by beansticks
xx
Onion "Sturon" sets

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 12, 2017, 19:26
by sunshineband
xx
autumn planted onions lifted early for spring onions

Started by Lisbon67 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 20:49
by Annen

Page created in 0.576 seconds with 36 queries.