Manure ??

• 4 Replies

indgepr

Manure ??
« on: July 30, 2012, 21:44 »
We took on an allotment at the end of last year, and whilst the soil looks ok, just a bit sandy, nothing is growing well, apart from on one bed where we put in a couple of sacks of horse muck.

From this I would assume that the soil is spent, and the whole lot needs feeding, therefore plenty of manure. Any advice best and cheapest place to get the required brown stuff ?

The allotment is in bedford

Cheers

Phil

allot2learn

Re: Manure ??
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 21:48 »
Look through yellow pages or do a google search for local riding stables. I get as much as I can move for free. It's a waste product. Helps if you have a trailer. I paid £30 for mine.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 21:48 »
You try local stables,they are usually glad to get rid of it. Or  search on here for lasagne beds,I've just constructed 1 on my plot. Look up Ecodollys diary page or latest posts for her she gives great instructions for them.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 23:03 »
sandy, well drained soils are at high risk of leaching any nutrients during your recent prolonged wet spell.  A general feed (plants depending) with FBB or similar will give them a boost while you source manure for later in the season (don't pay for it unless it's a delivery charge - keep a stash of old compost bags if you have to go collecting it). I grow on clay, so it brings it's own problems in the rain  ::)

m1ckz

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 07:40 »
we have a local chap with 4 horses,,,he mucks out strait on to a big trailer ,,when full he delivers to our allotment ,,10 pound a load,,i get 2 or 3 loads a year ,store it for the next year,,an its good an rotted then,,,so look around the stables,if u collect it usually free

xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium

Page created in 0.739 seconds with 36 queries.