Gettiing tough with bindweed

• 7 Replies

Kirpi

Gettiing tough with bindweed
« on: July 30, 2012, 08:11 »
OK - I build lasagne beds, don't dig the beds ever and sing hippy songs to my plants to make them grow but - there comes a time when the systemic weedkiller has to come out!

I've tried pulling every piece as soon as it shows through but that doesn't weaken it at all.

It needs a systemic weedkiller - right? Possibly in a small spray bottle so I can single out the one plant against my crops, possibly a gel pen?

Any thoughts?

mobilekat

Re: Gettiing tough with bindweed
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 08:40 »
Glyphosate.... eg Round-up or one of the cheaper ones, and then give it 2 weeks to go back to the root. needs to be a dry day, and if possible bruise the leaves first as it then absorbs better

I have been reducing my bindweed down by not just pulling it up when it appears, but actually rottling around and getting the piece of root that its attached to. this works better as if you just tug the buried root snaps into pieces and you get more.
I have noticed this years crop is much smaller and less of it- but it has taken time!- 3 years and counting!!
But I haven't reached for the spray/pain yet this year as is definitely reduced and I try to be organic.
I travel lots and I am sure we get regional variations in the bindweed (peering over hedges at other peoples!)

I have done a fair bit of research to see if there is a use for bindweed, and some people reckon its a diuretic, but I wasn't sure if they were taking the pee.....
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

m1ckz

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 08:54 »
yep  roundup

fatcat1955

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 10:16 »
Place a cane next to the bindweed and train it up the cane. Mix your weedkiller and place in a jam jar. Put the jam jar next to the cane and slide the bindweed inti the jam jar. Cover the jar to stop water getting in and the weedkiller will go right down to the roots and kill it for good.

davesellars

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 10:29 »

I too have an increasing problem with bindweed - although fortunately it's not too much of an issue at the moment compared with the mares tail.  :tongue2:

For bindweed - are those glyphosate gel sticks any good?  Pretty expensive but i suppose it's a more direct way of applying without affecting other plants.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 17:55 »
I'd double check the glyphosate strength (g per litre) in the gel sticks - I'm not sure whether it's anywhere near as strong as the stuff you buy as ready made liquid or neat concentrate.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 18:10 »
OK - I build lasagne beds, don't dig the beds ever and sing hippy songs to my plants to make them grow but - there comes a time when the systemic weedkiller has to come out!

I've tried pulling every piece as soon as it shows through but that doesn't weaken it at all.

It needs a systemic weedkiller - right? Possibly in a small spray bottle so I can single out the one plant against my crops, possibly a gel pen?

Any thoughts?

Hi Kirpi,

As you know, I am a great lasagne bed fan, I usually pull bindweed and couch out as much as possible by hand - but having taken over my plot in 2010, I am still doing this, so where bad infestations exist, I do use glyphosate.

I cut the bottom off a 2L plastic drinks bottle and spray glyphosate onto individual plants.  You can also mix up the glyphosate, adding a little dash of washing up liquid and use some fabric gloves over rubber gloves, soak the gloves, then drench the leaves by hand.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Kirpi

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 18:20 »
Hi angelavdavis - I like the bottle idea.

xx
How tough are strawberries?

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 03, 2011, 09:49
by LivvyW
xx
tough celery

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 21, 2013, 13:11
by gypsy
xx
Spuds with tough skins

Started by Taff Jones on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 20:39
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
tough tomato skins

Started by kasey on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 05, 2016, 11:07
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.705 seconds with 36 queries.