Have I wrecked my tomato plants.

• 9 Replies

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
Have I wrecked my tomato plants.
« on: July 29, 2012, 22:40 »
I went a bit mad in the greenhouse today with the pruning of my tomato plants.
I have a lot of green tomatoes on them and in an effort to let in more light I got a bit carried away and now their looking rather well....... Bald.

I would imagine there is about a quater of the leaves and branches that I started off with this morning and I think I may have gone a little mad.
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

Springlands

Re: Have I wrecked my tomato plants.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 07:09 »
Without seeing your plants it is hard to say but probably not. What I normally do is work up from the bottom of the plant - I cut away the leaves so that the sun can get at the toms that have reached a good size and I then repeat the process as the tomatoes on each truss develop.

Taylor40

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 07:24 »
I went a bit mad on mine last week but it seems to have done the trick. They seem to have suddenly found a new lease of life...

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 08:40 »
Ive got some roma plum in one side of my greenhouse border that I was under the impression not to take side shoots out, They are so dense its near on impossible for any sun to get through to them but the problem is because of the denseness its hard to know what im pruning. I keep having a little snip here and there so hopefully i can get some light through to them.

nb

got my 1st ripe tomato yesterday though so theres hope yet.
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

davesellars

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 11:21 »

I need to do the same thing (made a start yesterday), otherwise I fear one day I will arrive at the polytunnel and not be able to get in for tomato growth.  It's rather tricky to get to the plants at the back though!

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 12:00 »

Mine are looking denuded ? due to me having to clear away leaves and stems hit by blight. >:(

Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

hubballi

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 12:07 »
I knew someone who swore that cutting nearly all the leaves off ensured a good crop.

Agatha

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 12:23 »
I did some seasonal work at a veg box company a few years back & we were told to take the leaves off gradually from the base up, leaving one leaf below the first truss until the fruit was a good size, then removing leaves to one below the next truss etc.  It seemed to work, so I do that for mine now.
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 17:52 »
I knew someone who swore that cutting nearly all the leaves off ensured a good crop.

The leaves are responsible for the plant's ongoing health, so unless you chopped the leaves off right at the end, the plants would be likely to look unhealthy fairly quickly.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

savbo

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 19:30 »
when this question came up on GQT the other day, Bob F recommended leaving the leaves if they are still green.

Does sun actually ripen tomatoes? Or does the plant do that? We Should Be Told...

sav

xx
Brasicas wrecked

Started by RichardC on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 17:09
by RichardC
xx
tomato plants

Started by wyandotty on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 21:43
by Babstreefern
xx
Tomato Plants

Started by plot9 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 07:21
by DD.
xx
Tomato Plants

Started by davesellars on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2011, 11:13
by davesellars

Page created in 0.519 seconds with 36 queries.