poorly parsley

• 10 Replies

Grubbypaws

poorly parsley
« on: July 29, 2012, 18:28 »
Both flat and curly parsley have whole sections that are turning a pinky yellow and then dying off. The new growth on the curly parsley looks OK but the flat leaf is wretched.

I had thought that it was low light levels but it has continued to happen despite the recent nice weather.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: poorly parsley
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 18:39 »
I failed to get parsley to germinate at all this year - I always grow it fresh from seed each year - so I'm not familiar with your problem. As you say it could be cool temperatures and lack of light causing it to fail.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 18:43 »
or overwatering  :(

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 19:27 »
It could just be worn out. Start again  :)  I sowed a fresh batch just the other day

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 22:36 »
Parsley belongs to the same family as carrots and parsnips, and is therefore also vulnerable to carrot fly - I've got five flat-leaf parsley plants and all but one of them is now struggling - it's only a guess until you (or I!) pull one out and look for the tell-tale little maggots but I rarely go through a whole year without at least one plant being attacked, weakened, or even killed.

(The only other problem I've ever had is when I grew them in full sun - not been a factor this year though!)  :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Grubbypaws

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 08:44 »
Parsley belongs to the same family as carrots and parsnips, and is therefore also vulnerable to carrot fly - I've got five flat-leaf parsley plants and all but one of them is now struggling - it's only a guess until you (or I!) pull one out and look for the tell-tale little maggots but I rarely go through a whole year without at least one plant being attacked, weakened, or even killed.

Thank you (I think); this is definitely the problem. What is the life cycle of these critters? How do I deal with them to prevent damage spreading to my carrots and parsnips?   

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 10:12 »
Here is a site with some information about the life cycle and control options - in my experience carrots can be completely ruined by carrot fly so I net mine with enviromesh to make sure, parsnips can get a bit manky and cankerish around the shoulders but I put up with it, parsley I usually also leave to get on with it although I am quite taken with the grass mulch idea...........

Grubbypaws

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 15:38 »
My parsley struggled but survived as predicted and has kept us well supplied. I have grown it in pots and was intending to overwinter it for a crop next year. Will this be a problem with the larvae of the carrot root fly also overwintering?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 16:33 »
Not entirely sure about that - certainly any remaining larvae will hatch out into flies next year which could potentially start laying eggs again, but then again Parsley is a biennial so will run to seed quite quickly next year so you will have to start again anyway.

allotmentann

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 16:01 »
If you do start off more parsley, do let the old plants flower. The flowers are especially attractive to parasitic wasps and hoverflies which are natural predators of a lot of the bugs we don't want! :)

Grubbypaws

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 08:32 »
If you do start off more parsley, do let the old plants flower. The flowers are especially attractive to parasitic wasps and hoverflies which are natural predators of a lot of the bugs we don't want! :)

Thank you for this suggestion; I will certainly let them flower. Any thing planted in my garden has to earn its place by either being friendly to wild life or being good to eat. I love the idea of a plant that can do both  :D

xx
Parsley

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 23:00
by Eblana
xx
Parsley

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 29, 2017, 16:59
by JayG
xx
Parsley Help

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 27, 2020, 18:40
by Vagabond
xx
parsley

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 27, 2021, 16:54
by jaydig

Page created in 1.386 seconds with 38 queries.