Question regarding POL hens..

• 5 Replies

Taylor40

Question regarding POL hens..
« on: July 28, 2012, 07:21 »
Hi.
I have 2 of my POL girls just starting to lay. The last two nights they have both laid soft shelled eggs. The first was sometime through the evening (between 6pm-10pm) in a corner of the run. Last night they laid inside the coop (between 10.30pm - 6.30am).
Is all this normal for young hens and will they likely get the idea of using the nest boxes? I have read somewhere that it's common for the shells to be soft at first until their system settles down so not overly worried about that at the moment. But laying in the coop through the night with the other girls trampling around isn't going to give the eggs much of a chance even when they do harden up.

Thanks in advance for any advice  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Question regarding POL hens..
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 08:42 »
a simple trick is to place either a false egg (these can be pot, rubber or plastic eggs) or if you can't get one of these then a golf ball will do in the nest boxes. Sometimes they need showing where to go and lay  :). Laying thin and soft shelled eggs over night under the perches is perfectly normal - these eggs are obviously taking them by surprise and not giving them much time to get off the perch.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Prod

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 17:09 »
Mine were the same My coop has 2 nest boxes and I can raise the front panel so it is slightly higher and really separates from the coop area. Some people advise making the nest boxes darker by hanging up old sacking  but Ive not had to do that.  Make sure that  they have plenty of grit, even if they free range.

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 22:37 »
I have done what joyfull said and it worked a treat one of my ladies has just laid for the first time and went in the nestbox no problems.i got 2 rubber eggs from wilkinsons for £2.49 bargain.
Pull up a perch!!

Taylor40

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 10:52 »
Both girls now laying perfectly formed eggs in the next box. And don't they let you know it.. some very loud and proud rosey to announce their egg arrival  :lol:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 10:58 »
glad you both now have girlies laying and in the right place  :D. oh and yes some hens are very vocal  - both before and after laying  :lol:

xx
yet another question about broody hens

Started by jhub on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 07:26
by NooNoosdad
xx
Hens Pecking Anything Red Question

Started by Fisherman on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 12, 2010, 20:28
by 8doubles
xx
Yet another question about broody hens.....

Started by Tattyanne456 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 12:57
by EggBound
xx
Daft question about rescued battery hens

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post September 19, 2007, 16:05
by muntjac

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 37 queries.