glass in ground.

• 6 Replies

mrpotatohead

glass in ground.
« on: July 27, 2012, 17:42 »
broken glass bits in ground-will they end up inside  veg like tatties/onions etc? thet're small bits.
also, bits of compressed fibre board from old portacabin-any harm to health if turned into veg plot?  thanks.

Kleftiwallah

Re: glass in ground.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 18:06 »

I suppose the spud could form around the glass fragments, tatties more than onions. But a bit of a long shot.  Not sure about the fibre board.

Reminds me of a thread I read some time ago about an allotment with a damaged greenhouse and no tennant, the council sent in the workers and they removed the frame and then rotavated all the broken glass into the ground!

Take care.    Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 23:18 »
every time i dig in my garden i come up with something , dug a hole by the fence to put in my clementice and got a length of electric cable, i piece of rubber sealer and various bits of bottle as well as some coal
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Christine

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 08:03 »
I'm sure that a lot of allotments have been used as dumps for stuff people couldn't get to the tip. Then someone comes along with serious gardening intent and has a major clearing problem. The local scrap man has done brilliantly off a couple of plots near mine over the last couple of years.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 21:22 »
dont think you will have anything to worry about after all you do not find sharp bits of stone inside veg , whilst fiberboard will just rot down eventually
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

Wellpotty1

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 22:43 »
I dont think that bits of rubble will cause too many problems with the veg, apart from carrots maybe. I am just a bit ocd and have to pick out any i see, I worry more about cutting myself and tetnus etc, especially with shards of glass. My raised beds seem to have loads & plastic too as if previous owners have rotovated their recycling bin into the soil! If it was me I would remove as much as possible.
Kiwifruit

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 11:22 »
I worry more about cutting myself and tetnus etc,

Tetnus should be no worry if your tetnus jabs are up to date. I seem to remember that they last about 10 years and when you have had 3 you need no more ever. Tetnus (lockjaw) is not nice. Every gardened and outdoor person should be protected.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 11:30 by Salmo »

xx
Glass!

Started by Opposite on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 05, 2017, 16:27
by BabbyAnn
xx
glass

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 02, 2008, 19:24
by cawdor2001
xx
Strawberries Under Glass

Started by Stevie P on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 28, 2008, 23:21
by GrannieAnnie
xx
horticultural glass where from?

Started by Knight Family on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 05, 2008, 12:46
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.423 seconds with 36 queries.