A tale of two beds

• 2 Replies

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
A tale of two beds
« on: July 25, 2012, 23:00 »
So I have two beds right next to each other. Both were prepared in the same way. I planted sweetcorn in both and have fed and watered them identically.

In one bed my sweetcorn is thriving. In the other it is yellow and much smaller. The only difference is that the yellowing corn has courgettes growing inbetween it.

Any suggestions on what might be going wrong? The bed had compost and chicken pellets added before I planted and I've since added seaweed fertiliser and also watered on occasion with nettle tea, so I wouldn't have thought it was down to lack of nutrients. The courgette plants are thriving.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: A tale of two beds
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 23:15 »
The two beds have differing nutrient and watering requirements, given the differing demands being made by the increased plants in one.

Assuming you can rule out contamination or drainage issues between the two beds, I think the additional courgette plants in the one bed have indeed proved too much competition for the sweetcorn in the absence of extra nutrition (probably this) and/or watering (possibly but I'd say less likely).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
Re: A tale of two beds
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 23:55 »
i thought that might be the case Yorkie. I'll pop down tomorrow and add some extra nutrition to the soil then.

xx
A sad tale of brassicas

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 10, 2008, 23:56
by Salmo
xx
A tale of two spades

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post November 17, 2008, 16:40
by woodburner
xx
A tale of two allotments

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 26, 2014, 21:00
by Laurentius
xx
The Tale of the Mouse's Peas

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 26, 2007, 17:38
by Annie

Page created in 0.895 seconds with 36 queries.