re-using gherkin vinegar

• 30 Replies

wighty

Re: re-using gherkin vinegar
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 21:06 »
I never have claimed to be a laaaaaaydeeeeee  ;)  :lol:

I've always understood your garden centre to be the 'exclusive one' in the area.  I shall reccomend to my mother that her Ladies Group stop meeting there once a week for luncheon. Obviously not the right place for them to attend. :D

edited to fix quote
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 21:20 by mumofstig »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 06:21 »
Oh but we are. We have many 'ladies who lunch' in  :lol:  Our redevelopment has kicked off, so wait till we get our new shop - will be too posh for words my dear  ;)

I'm just the scruffy oik in the bedding bit so they let me off a bit of muck and bullets  :lol:  I always think a spotlessly clean plant person is suspicious anyway - well that's my excuse  ;)

wighty

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 20:08 »
I shall be one of the 'ladies' at the end of August and shall inspect the premises then and make my recommendations.  I  may lower myself to speak to the 'oik' in the bedding department, depends how I feel on the day, :D :D :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 20:25 »
Right you are madam - anyfink you says.  I shall just be over in the corner tugging my forelock, bowing and scraping  ;)  :lol:

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 15:33 »
Sorry - just realised after I posted this that the replies went onto a second page ... doesn't appear terribly relevant after 'class wars among the petunias'!!!  Nonetheless, I'll still leave my original response in case it's of use ...

You do need to boil the vinegar (a) to get rid of any bacteria that may have been transferred from fingers (it may not be a problem after a week, but could be after two or three!), and (b) to allow any water that's leached from the gherkins into the vinegar to evaporate and therefore keep the solution strong enough to preserve whatever you pickle next safely.  Then you should be fine  :)

.... and having a Glaswegian father, I can confirm that the Scots claim 'foosty' as their ain, and as stated by others it means musty, mouldy, rotten, smelly, etc.!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 15:37 by cheshirecheese »

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 15:41 »
Sorry - just realised after I posted this that the replies went onto a second page ... doesn't appear terribly relevant after 'class wars among the petunias'!!!  Nonetheless, ..

No, you're quite right this thread is about reusing gherkin vinegar. :D

What is foosty please? :)

:D Of Scottish/Glaswegian origin: mouldy, musty, rotten, bad, etc.... :D

.... and having a Glaswegian father, I can confirm that the Scots claim 'foosty' as their ain, and as stated by others it means musty, mouldy, rotten, smelly, etc.!

I'm so glad your Glaswegian father agrees with me - a Glaswegian.;)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 16:02 »
I'm so glad your Glaswegian father agrees with me - a Glaswegian.;)

Yes indeedy ... mind you, he was actually born in Hong Kong as his Dad was serving over there!!!  :D :tongue2: :D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 11:03 by cheshirecheese »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2012, 07:51 »
You do need to boil the vinegar (a) to get rid of any bacteria that may have been transferred from fingers (it may not be a problem after a week, but could be after two or three!), and (b) to allow any water that's leached from the gherkins into the vinegar to evaporate and therefore keep the solution strong enough to preserve whatever you pickle next safely.  Then you should be fine  :)

My instinct was that boiling the vinegar would make it safe, which is why I asked the question on page 1, before we got slightly distracted   :blush:  ::)  Thank you for confirming that is the way forward  :D

Wighty visits me regularly at work whenever she comes over to the mainland to visit her mum and knows the local area very well.  No class wars - just a bit of gentle leg pulling  :D

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2012, 07:56 »

My instinct was that boiling the vinegar would make it safe, which is why I asked the question on page 1,

My instinct, when you suggested it, was that boiling would spoil some of the lovely herby flavours..

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2012, 08:24 »
Yes I'd agree you need to replace the flavourings  :) 

Lardman

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 17:06 »

Which kind of defeats the object of using it, doesn't it ?

I've been a bit of a piggy and eaten all the eggs I was going to pickle  :tongue2: (I do like my toast and bovril with a boiled egg on top)  but I do think a quick boil for the vinegar may be a good idea.

When I break the broody and have a surplus of eggs I'll try again.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 17:37 »
Well you try and help someone  ::)  :lol:

A pinch of pickling spice for some eggs is going to cost next to nought ;)  Next time use a fork to get those gherkins out and you won't have the problem of foosty finger contaminated vinegar  :tongue2:  :lol:

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 17:47 »

Well I'd just not put my fingers in it. ::) Save a load of trouble.  :nowink: :D ;)

Lardman

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 17:48 »
Next time use a fork to get those gherkins out and you won't have the problem of foosty finger contaminated vinegar  :tongue2:  :lol:

::) What next coasters and napkins  :nowink:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 17:51 »
 :lol:

Wot - you mean you don't already for your jackets and cheese.  Well I'm shocked and horrified  :ohmy:  :nowink:

xx
Gherkin relish

Started by supervegman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2011, 13:16
by mumofstig
xx
pickled gherkin question

Started by sunshineband on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post July 29, 2015, 13:00
by sunshineband
xx
Cucumber/gherkin pickling

Started by lightyears on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 20:40
by lightyears
xx
gherkin pickling question

Started by surbie100 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 05, 2013, 08:00
by surbie100

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 37 queries.