Growing Portulaca

• 22 Replies

Goosegirl

Growing Portulaca
« on: July 24, 2012, 12:40 »
I recently bought some small plants from a local supplier as I have never tried them before. They are a lovely deep rose colour and have thin, slightly succulent leaves. I have Gogged for info on them, but wondered if anyone on here has tried them?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Growing Portulaca
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 12:48 »
We sell these as bedding plants at work  :)  They make a stunning hanging basket, but are not that well known really.  Customers who know about them tend to ask for them but they are really easy care, pretty plants  :)

How are you intending to grow them?  They sprawl a bit so are best in a container they can hang down over the edges of  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 13:45 »
I have planted them in a large window trough spaced 6" apart as the label said. I see that the spacing can differ, maybe these are particularly dwarf, but they are the only plants in there this year. I live by the sea so am planning to grow from seed for next year's hanging baskets and troughs. Can they cope with the salt winds? Looking at their leaves, I thought they will either dry out very quickly or be resistant. I have seen various colours and they look so cheerful.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 14:00 »
They are pretty tough as they are succulents really. Not sure about the salt spray as I live inland, but they are drought resistant - more so than many bedding plants.

Spacing of 6" is the standard one they stick on bedding.  You can cram them in so long as you feed and water a container well.  A window box of them sounds lovely  :)

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 14:04 »
I grow portulacas almost every year and love them. They're very hardy drought tolerant plants that flower their heads off once they get rooted. They don't mind a bit of water but not too much so you'll want to watch what you mix them with in a basket or tub.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 14:35 »
Thanks all. I am quite taken with them so will get some seed for next year. I have done hanging baskets in previous years and, despite using compost with added soil, a big saucer in the bottom, a coir liner with a plastic liner inside AND water-retaining gel, they still dry out despite watering them every day when it is sunnny. I find the water runs out of the sides where some of the plants are. If they "trail" a bit, they should look lovely on the sides and towards the bottom. What would you recommend as equally drought-tolerant to go with them at the top of the basket?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 15:00 »
I'd put them in the top as well.  We had them in at work as a mono-planted hanging basket of mixed colours and they were fabulous  8) A complete ball of vibrant colours as the top ones do stand up a bit and the 'on the edge' ones softly trail over and down the basket.

If you would really like an upright plant, geraniums would be the most drought tolerant  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 15:07 »
Newshoot - my mouth is watering!  :) As I have not been successful with geraniums in my baskets, I will do as you said. Wait for the next year's pix! ::)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 18:22 »
Wait for the next year's pix! ::)

You're on  ;)  Mind you a pic of your window box when it has got going would be nice.  Think a few people will be buying seeds once they see what pretty plants they are  :)

Agatha

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 13:18 »
These are new to me - can we see a photo please?
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 15:15 »
Am going to try pixresizer but don't hold your breath - I seem to be a bit lost in uploading pix for on here.

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 14:01 »
Have uploaded a pic successfully - now waiting for the weather to turn sunny so you can see them in all their glory now they have settled and produced lots of flower buds!  8)

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 11:24 »
Aha - managed to upload successfully again, and here are my portulaca. They settled in nicely but took a while for new buds to form, then it rained on them! The flowers do go like tissue paper when that happens and snails seem to like chopping bits of stem off, but I do like them!
Imported Photos 00075.JPG

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 20:09 »
Lovely  :D

They do come in some beautiful rich colours  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 21:44 »
That is gorgeous.  Must go and re-read all of this thread now I know what they look like  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Growing something a bit different

Started by Christine on General Gardening

27 Replies
Last post January 30, 2009, 11:39
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
How do I go about growing these?

Started by mabel on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 07, 2008, 15:51
by weeeed
xx
Growing Gladioli !!

Started by lancashiregardeninggal on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 18:42
by lancashiregardeninggal
xx
growing snowdrops

Started by mumofstig on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 16:37
by Kristen

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 37 queries.