Bird Flu outbreak in SUFFOLK

• 54 Replies

mumsy

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2007, 20:29 »
Everyone in Norfolk & Suffolk have been advised to put their birds inside.  So I have put my two away, I feel so sorry for them although the space they have is not too small but they are used to the whole garden!!  You can imagine my suprise as while I have been out & about I have noticed some commercial poultry farms with their free range birds still outside in their fields  :o .  I am just outside Woodbridge.  Surely DEFRA would have advised them to put them away?  
At least I know I have done all I can.
Mumsy

muntjac

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2007, 20:31 »
the restrictions dont state to confine outside the wider zone mumsy ,its just a no travel control at the moment  :wink: the care your taking means you care  :wink:
still alive /............

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2007, 23:03 »
Richy kindly gave me his September copy of Country Smallholding, and there is an article in it on Avian Flu by Alan Beat which is very interesting.

This is a small part of it.

"A review of the available scientific data clearly shows that H5N1 originated within the intensive poultry industry, that the virus has spread internationally through movements of commercial poultry and products, and that wild birds and backyard flocks are not vectors, but victims of such spread.  The spead of H5N1 thus conforms to the historical record, while allegations to the contrary are entirely without foundation."

Somebody from the RSPB was saying on the TV the other night that if bird flu was brought in with wild birds there would be dead and dying wild birds around, and they haven't actually had any reports of any in or near that area.

So I think this current case is something similar to the February one with Bernard Matthews.  Someone somewhere has had contact with the virus, but I bet it aint wild birds!!!

But its the small producer that loses out everytime as usual!!!!

frazzy

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2007, 19:53 »
well said grannyAnnie me and my hubby were discussing this this afternoon. if it was wild birds surly people would be finding lots of casualties.
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.  byJohn Burroughs:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2007, 20:06 »
100% agree Grannie, but that won't stop the media panic frenzy  :roll:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2007, 22:29 »
That is exactly what annoys us too Frazzy and Aunty.  The media blow it all up out of proportion for their kicks, but it does a lot of damage with people not buying eggs or chickens or turkeys, and like we always say, its not the BM's of this world it hurts, but the small producers who are trying to make a living.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2007, 16:31 »
just released

NEWS RELEASE
Ref: 430/07
Date: 19 November 2007Nobel House, 17 Smith Square, London SW1P 3JR
Out of hours telephone 020 7270 8960

Avian influenza update: H5N1 confirmed at second premises
Laboratory test results have today confirmed H5N1 Avian Influenza in turkeys at one of the Dangerous Contact premises. These premises were confirmed as a Dangerous Contact, and placed under restriction, on 14th November. Culling was completed on 17th November. On clinical inspection the flock appeared healthy which indicates the infection was in its early stages.

As a result of confirming disease this now becomes the second Infected Premises. A 3km radius Protection Zone is being placed around the premises on the Norfolk-Suffolk border  and the existing Surveillance Zone is being extended.

Acting Chief Veterinary Officer Fred Landeg said:

"The laboratory test results today highlight the importance of poultry keepers in the area being extremely vigilant. It is essential they practice the highest levels of biosecurity and report any suspicions of disease to their local Animal Health office."

The national ban on bird gatherings remains firmly in place. Movement restrictions apply in the Protection, Surveillance and Restricted Zones, and bird keepers in those zones are  required to house or otherwise isolate their birds from wild birds.

frazzy

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2007, 16:49 »
yep Defra have been round our site counting birds and telling us they have to be kept undercover why are they counting our birds i thought that was if you had 50 or more ?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2007, 17:51 »
Have you registered then Frazzy  :?:

frazzy

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2007, 22:25 »
no we didn't because we don't have over 50 birds.
the chap opposite us did because he has so many he must have a 100 or more. i wondered if its because there are so many chicken owners close together so they are counting it as one site .
that or maybe the council are just covering there selves .
has any body else had a head count on there site?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2007, 23:08 »
Did they just notice yours when the were visiting the other guy's  :?:

Selkie

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2007, 23:14 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Did they just notice yours when the were visiting the other guy's  :?:

that's what i was thinking, or maybe they asked him if he knew other people in the area who kept poultry?

frazzy

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2007, 23:44 »
it probably is just that. i do tend to get paranoid about stuff like that can you tell  :lol:

muntjac

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2007, 23:48 »
they will ahve asked all the places they visit today and also are using planes and choppers to identify areas of high bird population same as they did at my place when the first outbreak happened  :roll:

gobs

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2007, 13:44 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
Richy kindly gave me his September copy of Country Smallholding, and there is an article in it on Avian Flu by Alan Beat which is very interesting.

This is a small part of it.

"A review of the available scientific data clearly shows that H5N1 originated within the intensive poultry industry, that the virus has spread internationally through movements of commercial poultry and products, and that wild birds and backyard flocks are not vectors, but victims of such spread.  The spead of H5N1 thus conforms to the historical record, while allegations to the contrary are entirely without foundation."

Somebody from the RSPB was saying on the TV the other night that if bird flu was brought in with wild birds there would be dead and dying wild birds around, and they haven't actually had any reports of any in or near that area.

So I think this current case is something similar to the February one with Bernard Matthews.  Someone somewhere has had contact with the virus, but I bet it aint wild birds!!!

But its the small producer that loses out everytime as usual!!!!

But Grannie, the virus had been first found in wild fowl throughout Europe, also they say wild ducks and some other water fowl are carriers of some strains and not affected. See this
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
bird flu outbreak in nth suffolk

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

68 Replies
Last post February 09, 2007, 14:04
by muntjac
xx
New Bird Flu Outbreak

Started by grinling on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2017, 14:07
by Paul Plots
xx
Bird Avian Flu Outbreak Information

Started by mumofstig on The Hen House

233 Replies
Last post April 23, 2017, 01:38
by Paul Plots
xx
Newbie from Suffolk

Started by chcikenrunbec on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 26, 2009, 20:00
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 29 queries.