Garden disinfectant

• 8 Replies

mondaysoff

Garden disinfectant
« on: July 22, 2012, 11:56 »
Hi everyone, as you can see this is my first post on this forum. My question is, I read in a garden magazine, that when you wash your flower pots and equipment ready for use in the spring, use a good garden disinfectant, but didn't go into detail as to any specific product. Now, I have just started to keep chickens at home, and in their cleaning supplies I use Vanodine V18, which has been recommended by many in the chicken chat area of the forum.

Do any gardeners here use this product in the greenhouse or garden?, is it safe for plants? or does anybody have any other suggestions as what to use. I don't want to to buy another disinfectant if I can use what I already have.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

2 x Light Sussex 2 x Cuckoo Marans 1x Rhode Island Red 1x Lavender Araucana 1x Cream Legbar 1x Blue Leghorn

Benandbill

Re: Garden disinfectant
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 13:45 »
Hi mondaysoff.  Sorry I don't have a clue how to answer your question, I've just strayed onto this board as a moderator moved my post about sweet peas, cos I'm usually on the Grow Your Own page.  Like the fact you have chickens in your garden, I bet your eggs are delicious!  I hope you get the answer you're looking for and am sure you will.  May I just take this opportunity also to welcome you to the site.  It's really good on here and there are loads of really interesting and helpful people!  :)

Yana

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 14:14 »
Hi mondaysoff, not too far away from where I am .... :D
I use jeyes fluid and seems to do the job for me. A good rinse with running water after and let the pots / tools dry naturally. I use it at the end of the greenhouse season too.
Others might offer alternatives.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

mondaysoff

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 14:21 »
Hi mondaysoff.  Sorry I don't have a clue how to answer your question, I've just strayed onto this board as a moderator moved my post about sweet peas, cos I'm usually on the Grow Your Own page.  Like the fact you have chickens in your garden, I bet your eggs are delicious!  I hope you get the answer you're looking for and am sure you will.  May I just take this opportunity also to welcome you to the site.  It's really good on here and there are loads of really interesting and helpful people!  :)

Thank you for the welcome, and I'm sure I will get a lot more use from the forum, as you say loads of interesting people and advise. The chickens are only 10 weeks old, so no eggs for at least another 8 weeks or more, but really looking forward to them.

mondaysoff

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 14:28 »
Hi mondaysoff, not too far away from where I am .... :D
I use jeyes fluid and seems to do the job for me. A good rinse with running water after and let the pots / tools dry naturally. I use it at the end of the greenhouse season too.
Others might offer alternatives.

Thanks Yana, fortunately I have some in the shed I had forgotten about, I will use that first.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 14:28 »
...I've just strayed onto this board as a moderator moved my post about sweet peas, cos I'm usually on the Grow Your Own page. 

There are lots of good boards on the forum, you should have a look around benandbill. ;) :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Springlands

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 14:54 »
Hi Mondaysoff - welcome to the forum. I mainly use washing up liquid to clean my pots and also the glass in my greenhouse - a suggestion by Monty Don in one of his gardening programmes. I just make sure that I rinse off any excess suds. Good luck and hope your gardening goes well.  :)

Benandbill

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 21:03 »
Thanks argyllie, perhaps I'll branch out a bit  :D

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 14:09 »
Thanks argyllie, perhaps I'll branch out a bit  :D

Good for you. ;) No pun intended of course. :D ::)

xx
New garden

Started by Asherweef on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post March 06, 2014, 12:26
by Goosegirl
xx
A sad garden Day

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post August 12, 2022, 12:36
by mrs bouquet
xx
Very wet garden.

Started by Butterfly on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 18:10
by Leligdowicz
xx
wet garden

Started by peanut on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2010, 07:05
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 30 queries.