raising Bantam chicks

• 2 Replies

rocker

• Rastus. Bearded, boot leg, Bantam
raising Bantam chicks
« on: July 22, 2012, 09:32 »
My first Batch of chicks were abandoned by their Mother after five weeks, she would fly out of their enclosure and call to the chicks to come out. The advice I was given at the time by an expert was to keep them separate for up to eighteen weeks. from the rest of the flock. when they were big enough, not 18 wk's I let them out , they were fine with that, but their mother now attacked them, at any opportunity.
the second batch of chicks, are growing nicely only four this time, as they were getting bigger and able to fly,  their mother kept calling them to come out, and feed.

I had a rethink on the whole situation. I have seen hens with chicks, that is five wk's and older out with the hen, so not wanting the mother to abandon them I let them all out. It is now a totally natural situation , with mother guiding them round showing them how its done. she is very protective of her brood, and the first batch stay away from her, I just wish I had let the first lot out, with their mother, to avoid any friction within the pack.

I now have a total of 13 bantams, with senior mum sitting on another three eggs.
to those of you that remember my original posts.

Rastus the Bearded Boot leg  Bantam Cockerel, I am afraid he is no longer with us, He was causing me too many problems, nearly crowing continuously, which did not go down well, you could hear him 100yd's away. also he was alienating, the other hens from me.
 he would see me and do a runner, taking the hens with him, causing a commotion.  I had had problems with him attacking me when I fed the hens their corn or feed,  I tried to mend his ways to to no avail.             RIP Rastus

Casey76

Re: raising Bantam chicks
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 11:18 »
When the chicks have been brooded naturally, mine have mixed with the flock from about 1 week old.  Mum does the job of protecting them from the other hens.

When the chicks have been brooded artificially, then it is more important that the chicks are of a similar size to the adults before integration :)

Chicken_Lover

• Experienced Member
  • R.I.P you two beautiful ladies:(
Re: raising Bantam chicks
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 12:39 »
Aww, R.I.P Rastus tje Bearded Boot Leg.
1 Leghorn Cockerel, 2 Warrens, 4 Lemon Goldfish and 1 Jack Russell, One Big Party!!!!!! :D :D

xx
Raising chicks

Started by bastonjock on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 09:06
by Sassy
xx
raising chicks

Started by NATHAN on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 21, 2007, 20:13
by muntjac
xx
Raising chicks

Started by North Devon Dumpling on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 21:51
by francais
xx
How soon after brooding and raising chicks.............

Started by cathangirl on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 17:53
by cathangirl

Page created in 0.4 seconds with 28 queries.