Which is best

• 11 Replies

avapalo

Which is best
« on: November 12, 2007, 14:54 »
Our new allotment has tall grass all over it.
We were going to cut the grass and then dig and turn the roots over.
The man in the plot next door is pulling the grass out by hand as it comes out easily and loosening the soil with a fork. He is then placing the grass on the top as a mulch. His thinking is that as the plot has not been used before there are nutrients to be used at the top without turning it over. To put nitrogen into the soil he is going to plant a green crop of bean, I am not sure what type.
His idea seems less back breaking and gentler I just wondered what you all thought.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Which is best
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 15:31 »
It really depends on what sort of grass it is,if it is couch then I would dig and store it elsewhere covered to rot and then use at a later date. If you just turn it over it will be worse in no time next year as you need to remove the roots. hope this helps
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

nobby

• Experienced Member
Which is best
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 15:37 »
the best way in the long term is to dig out all the roots
this can take quite some time but its the only way to garentee cleen soil
you dont have to do it all in one go but if you start now by the spring things will be up and running

splodger

Which is best
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 17:16 »
i'd have it out - do a bit at a time - let the grass and roots dry and burn it

your mans bean - prob broad beans - as they are very high in nitrogen - i grow them just for that purpose - and give the beans away as i don't like them that much.

when the beans have finished - i dig up the whole plant - root and all - and bury them in a trench - in another part of the lottie.

muntjac

Which is best
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 17:41 »
doesnt say whether you could just spray the lot with roundup and then rotavate it after a 3 / 4 week period  :wink: id go that way  :wink:
still alive /............

splodger

Which is best
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 17:47 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
doesnt say whether you could just spray the lot with roundup and then rotavate it after a 3 / 4 week period  :wink: id go that way  :wink:

typical munty reply  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

muntjac

Which is best
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 17:49 »
Quote from: "splodger"
Quote from: "muntjac"

typical munty reply  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

i make no apologys fer geting the job done ... with a spade and rake or 2lbs of semtex  :lol:  :lol:

WG.

Which is best
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 19:27 »
I'm with Aidy - see what kind of grass it is before deciding.

DellDGM

• Location: Australia- South Australia trying organic gardening
    • http://farmintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Which is best
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 07:44 »
I'd take time to get rid of it now or you''ll pay for it later - when i first started my garden I just put newspaper and new soil and raised beds over the grass and 3 years later I'm still pulling out grass at least 2 minutes each day -  pull it out now it will be easier in the long run.
Dell
Spending time between the garden and the munchkins!
http://farmintheburbs.blogspot.com/

avapalo

thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 09:50 »
Semtex seems the best idea but I am not sure if the guy next door would appreciate the fallout of more grass on his patch :( .
What is obvious is that there is no easy method and to do the job properly is the only way to get rid of it, as I am pretty sure it is couch grass.
I am looking forward to many happy hours of digging
Thanks for all the replys

muntjac

Re: thanks
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 10:22 »
Quote from: "avapalo"
Semtex seems the best idea but I am not sure if the guy next door would appreciate the fallout of more grass on his patch :( .
What is obvious is that there is no easy method and to do the job properly is the only way to get rid of it, as I am pretty sure it is couch grass.
I am looking forward to many happy hours of digging
Thanks for all the replys

round up in 50% dilution of the note on the pack.. " werks for me "

sweet nasturtium

Which is best
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 13:15 »
avapalo how big is your plot and how much time do you have and also how much experience have you got?

It was hard for me at the beginning because
a) didn't have much time
b) had a huge plot
c) didn't know my weeds from my beans

I made it harder by getting help turning over the soil, allowing other people to dig the roots in for me.  Not a good idea.

But if I had the time, a small plot and was an experienced gardener, I would go the organic way.

Semtex - werks for me!

Page created in 0.649 seconds with 37 queries.