Clipping their nails?

• 3 Replies

MrTwang

Clipping their nails?
« on: July 18, 2012, 22:37 »
Two of my girls have sideways pointing toes (only the outside ones)

All the other nails on all hens naturally get worn down. However the toes in question have long nails on.
Should I get a vet to clip them or do it myself? I understand if done wrong could mean blood/damage.. :ohmy:

Sassy

Re: Clipping their nails?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 08:11 »
If they are white nails you should be able to see the nerve/vein in the claw and see how far you can clip - best to leave a bit more to be on the safe side. It is a risk, I feel, doing brown/black claws. Cornflour can be used in an emergency to help stem the flow of blood if you miscalulate. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Mrs Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 09:16 »
I would leave well alone. I tried with one of mine because she was getting large mud balls on her claws.
i read about what to do and did it very carefully  and only took a little off but obviously too much as there was blood everywhere.

It really upset me and I spent loads of time apologising to her, piching the claw to stop the blood, covered her and me in cornflour and sat feeding her treats.

i felt dreadful.

Son's girlfriend was more use than I was as she had had experience of clipping dog's claws.

Prod

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 10:55 »
Unless you know what you are doing and have the right type of clippers I would leave well alone or take to vet if is causing  them a problem.  I have a persian cat (who never goes out as she doesnt like to) and I was shown how to groom her and cut her claws. I use a special pair of clippers   but you have to be really carefull even with her and she is docile to the point of comatose  but I wouldnt like to tackle a chicken!!! :wub:

xx
nails??

Started by JACDORE on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 14:58
by JACDORE
xx
Nails

Started by norfolkgrog on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 21:09
by janet12000
xx
long nails

Started by lucia on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 13, 2009, 16:13
by grumpydad
xx
Lovely legs and beautiful nails?!?!?!?

Started by violet on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 19:56
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 36 queries.