Now this is very technical, making a dibber......

• 4 Replies

Amilo

• Experienced Member
Now this is very technical, making a dibber......
« on: July 18, 2012, 10:04 »
After 45 years of off and on use, my first ever garden spade has finally given up to old age and wood worm. But all is not lost, there is enough of the shaft still connected to the handle to make a fine dibber, so what I have to decide is "what size" to make it.

I was thinking of making it long and thick, then as I have clay soil I could used the larger hole to make a mini bed of seed compost top and bottom, ah! but then would that be a trap for water to sit in even though I have added tons of sharp sand and granite dust to improve the drainage.

I suppose it all comes down to drainage so to test the soil I emptied 5 gallons of water on and unused spot to see how long it took to drain away. It took 10 minutes for the last free water to drain away, so what do you think, mini seed beds or forget it.

Edit title to clarify subject.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 13:09 by argyllie »

Goosegirl

Re: Now this is very technical, making a dibber......
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 14:26 »
Is it for leeks, parsnips or what? Whatever, dib a 6"x3" hole and fill with water; do another hole twice the width and do the same again. This will give you a better idea as to your drainage. You are right that, if your soil doesn't drain well, you will be making a sump for water to drain into via adding compost to a firmed-in soil. I haven't heard of adding granite dust, but tons of sharp sand should have improved your general drainage significantly - how deep did you dig it in? Remember that the ground is soaking wet (I presume yours is?), if you live on low-lying land you may have a high-ish water table. Tou may have a hard clay "pan" beneath the top soil where it has been uncultivated and this needs to be broken up by trench digging and breaking up the bottom layer and incorporating your grit, then backfill with the top soil adding more grit and manure/compost as you go, but don't get the sub-soil onto the top.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 18:58 »
I was not thinking of any plants in particular and the post was a little "tongue in cheek" as to the digging depth, I have a large  18" (50cm) raised bed by  and I dug to a depth of one spade so that would give about 2'6" or (75cm) the extra soil is what has been dug out of a garage base  on the same plot, all of it 100% brick making quality! The sand and granite dust was added in from top to bottom during the dig.

The water table was about 3 inches in the winter and in the dry summer (whats that I hear you say) the soil is cracked down to about 6 inches, Phew!

Granite dust ( one to six mm) is very cheap hear as we have a quarry nearby, I am adding home compost as quick as I can make it and as soon as the the garage is finished  I will build a couple of 1 meter cube compost bins and get a couple of tons of horse manure to fill them and be ready for next year.

The ground has never been under cultivation before.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 15:08 »
Oh Crikey!!  :ohmy: What you have is inert soil from the garage base, plus any original top soil there (quality and fertility unknown and has never been previously cultivated) plus "granite dust" and sharp sand. Is the water table a general one for your area or just what you found in the bed? It sounds like you have both a huge draining and soil quality problem and digging to one spade depth will not solve it. From your post, I gather that the bed was 18" high and now raised by digging etc to 2'6" - this will sink a lot over the next few months. This might now be better posted in the "Grow Your Own" or "General Gardening" Forums but all I can suggest is to either - make large dibbing holes about 4" diameter, fill with good compost, perlite and sow your seeds, or make a "lasagne bed" on top or  - the quickest but hardest way - is to remove as much soil as you can, order some good quality gritty top soil, get a big fork, make a trench and push the tines into the bottom whilst adding sharp sand and grit, then add the new top soil with as much compost as you can.

Agatha

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 13:31 »
It might be worth starting stuff off in modules before planting out rather than seed sowing until your soil is improved a bit. 

Your spade handle will make a brilliant dibber for leeks.   
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

xx
Technical Experts Please

Started by beansticks on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post December 25, 2008, 23:52
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
greenhouses and a lot of technical info

Started by muntjac on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post February 20, 2007, 13:57
by muntjac
xx
Long handled dibber

Started by supersprout on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2006, 07:31
by Celtic Eagle
xx
making a polytunnel

Started by jack russell on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post February 19, 2008, 09:49
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 36 queries.