Coriander

• 18 Replies

colinc

Coriander
« on: July 16, 2012, 21:05 »
I have been growing coriander from seed in my greenhouse, it comes up ok but after a while it goes spindly and turns to flower what am I doing wrong.

title edit for search purposes
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 21:07 by mumofstig »

allotmentann

Re: Corriander
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 21:09 »
I think coriander just tends to do this, although i discovered recently that you can buy different seed - seed for seeds and seeds for leaves! But to be honest, I have given up with it as mine always flowers and goes to seed, and I can buy huge bunches of it for 50p so it doesn't really make sense to struggle growing it! :)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
Re: Coriander
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 21:47 »
You have to sow coriander every three weeks or so.  I have never found it to bulk up either which means you end up using stack of it to get anything like you might need for a decent recipe so, like allotmentann, I have also stopped growing it.  It will be interesting to see what other responses you get.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 21:58 »
Take it out the greenhouse, it just runs to seed every time I try going it in there too.

I grow it by the flower bucket full, let it get to a reasonable hight, cut the tops off at pot level and start another bucket full. Despite my best efforts I've never managed to get it to the cut and come again or even leaf picking state.  :(

I use lots but what isn't used gets put in a freezer bag and frozen. Argyllie has the coriander green thumb I think.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 22:01 »
I've given up on it too. The coriander that I buy in the shops is nothing like the variety I grow from seed. The ones I grow have frail feathery leaves, useless for cooking, and the shop ones have nice big chunky leaves. When I buy coriander seed the packet never seems to give a variety at all, just coriander, which really makes it impossible to pick a variety that's going to give a better leaf.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 22:57 »
Coriander is notorious for this, you're probably not doing anything wrong!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AnneB

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 23:25 »
Well how do they grow the green bushy bunches you buy at the greengrocers then? What do they do that we aren't?  I have had the same coriander problems as everyone else.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 23:38 »
They will have glasshouses where light / daylength, humidity, watering temperature and any other variables are carefully controlled, unlike our windowsills or patios  :(

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 07:29 »
I always grow it outside in one of the spots most exposed to potential sunlight that I have and it always runs to seed so as already posted, you need to make successional sowings.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 07:39 »
I found that if you cut the stems in small bunches, not strip complete plants, I can harvest leaves for ages before the plants are alowed to run to seed.

I just sow it straight in the ground at the plot. The usual early sowing was eaten by slugs this year, and I am doing the second this weekend. (Forgot in between and used up all the forzen stuff from last season)

Hope this helps. Very straightforward  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Willow_Warren

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 09:48 »
I've had a go at growing it this year!  I've had a few bits to snip off - grown in the conservatory... it went to seed very easily!  Decided the best way is the put a couple of seeds in a pot, let it do it's thing and chop it off before it goes to seed!  Seem to need a lot to get not a lot...

As others have said, not sure it's worth the effort though... not the most rewarding of things to grown...

Hannah :)

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 10:12 »
I have given it a go a few times, and always had similar problems in the UK. But to be honest, I love the seeds fresh off the plant once the pods have dried a little. They are far more pungent and aromatic than shop-bought seeds.

My mother-in-law has much more success in her garden in Spain, where she has a very bushy plant that seems to thrive on cut-and-come-again treatment.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 12:09 »
I've managed to grow it properly from large eastend packs and it grew fine 2 years ago, had nice leafy growth but this year its been not so good. its gone to flower and hardly usable. i thought it might have been the on/off weather but don't think it is.

last week i realized that I've bought proper coriander seeds from Franchi seeds and never thought to try them out but will try soon.

the fragrance from fresh cut coriander is by far the best than shop bought, which might be there for god knows how long. we use it when ever we make curry or make garish for our lentil soups (daal) and you can taste the difference straight away.

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 14:34 »
My first attmept at growing corriander has also gone to seed.  I have managed to harvest some leaf a couple times for cooking and I must agree with potatogrower that the flavour is far superior to any store bought corriander I've had in the past!

I started growing mine on a warm windowsil then moved it to the conservatory where it would have been affected by the really cold spells in April/May.  I assumed this was the reason for it bolting so haven't thought much more of it.  The seed are almost ready to harvest so I'll plant some more and update if I find any difference with my 2nd grow.
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 19:35 »
the flavour is far superior to any store bought corriander I've had in the past!

You only need to use a small amount and its adds a nice complimentary taste to the dish  :)

I've sown some of the franchi coriander seeds so lets see in 3 weeks time what we get.

xx
Coriander

Started by agapanthus on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 21:53
by agapanthus
xx
Coriander

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post April 24, 2010, 16:46
by chris23005
xx
coriander?

Started by diospyros on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2014, 16:11
by kentishlad
xx
Coriander

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 13:12
by sarah-king

Page created in 1.199 seconds with 37 queries.