Fruit Tree Suggestions Please

• 17 Replies

Dopey113

Fruit Tree Suggestions Please
« on: July 14, 2012, 15:05 »
looking for one two two trees that I will get something off them every year.... so not some kind of Kiwi  or such like, someone was telling me I can get grafted ones, that can have apples and pears on the same tree, duz this really work? or like a plumb tree (can you get multiple fruit off them as well? can someone recommend a good place to buy them from, and also what's the best time of the year to plant them... thanks
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Fruit Tree Suggestions Please
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 15:38 »
Not sure about apples and pears on the same tree Dopey, think whoever told you may have got a bit confused there  ;)  You can get family apple and pear trees with 2 or 3 varieties on the same trunk so they pollinate each other.  Plums are self fertile, so you only need one  :)

You can buy containerised trees year round at any decent garden centre, but the fresh stock comes in August/September.  Bare-root trees are economical and I've bought them from DT Brown and Marshalls and they were both good suppliers, but they only available from Oct/Nov to Feb/Mar.

At work, all our trees come from Blackmoor Fruit Nursery, who do a mail order service and whose trees are also very good  :)

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 15:44 »
I think it depends on how much space you have.  If you have room, I'd go for single varieties rather than the 'apples & pears' combo - although you'll get both fruit from the same tree, they're usually small 'patio' trees so you won't get a particularly big crop from them.  

The eventual size of the tree depends on the rooting stock - a good website that explains it all is http://www.blackmoor.co.uk/  You can obviously buy through them too, but if you have a good garden centre in your area, they'll be able to advise with regard to what's suitable for your particular soil and local prevailing weather conditions.  You also need to think about pollination options (or whether to buy self-fertile varieties), and that's explained on the Blackmoor website too.

Best of luck!  :)

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 15:46 »
... think I must have posted at the same time as New Shoot as there were no replies when I started typing!  As for Blackmoor, great minds think alike  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 16:32 »
Depends what you want, what you want them for, how much you want to spend and what area you have to plant them in and let them grow to their full size. There are patio, dwarf, semi-dwarf and bigger ones that are grafted onto a particular-sized stock. Look up Blackmoor, as Cheshirecheese says, see what they have, which ones are best for your soil and site, make a short-list then, if you are still not sure, you can always contact them. Bare-rooted are cheaper and are best planted in autumn which isn't far away - I would go for these.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Dopey113

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 16:36 »
So what kind of fruit can you grow in the UK then (im south Heathrow) apart from apples pears and plumbs, I dont have a clue myself thats why I ask

I just want something thats good to eat and looks good in my back garden, tbh its pretty sterile there its just grass.... but thats the way I like it, so a few fruit trees will break the garden up and make it look better
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 16:39 by Dopey113 »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 16:59 »
Apples, pears and plums are the most common, but also greengages, damsons which need to be cooked to eat, cherries which need to be well protected from birds and the more old fashioned fruits such as quince and medlar.  Quince are really pretty trees - I've got one but you need a decent autumn for the fruit to ripen before it rots.  

On the more exotic list are peaches, apricots, nectarines and figs but only if you have a sheltered sunny spot or ideally a south facing wall you can train them up  :)

Dopey113

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 17:08 »
taking all your advice in... but they dont say what root stock or size and things like that though

http://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/seeds-plants-gardening/41460/disease-resistant-fruit-tree-collection

What do you think?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 17:16 »
I think when you get into the main pages they do give rootstock details

http://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/catalogue/product_by_use/fruit/apples

That collection also doesn't say the apple and pear are self fertile so I would ask questions before you buy.  They won't polinate each other so unless self fertile, you need 2 of each  :)

Try the Blackmoor site for really detailed info

http://www.blackmoor.co.uk/index.php?cPath=1

If you have any questions just ask them - they are really nice people to deal with  :)

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 19:00 »

Depending on how much space you have,I bought some apple,pear plum and cherry trees

From http://www.gardenbargains.com/

They are supposed to grow no more then 7ft tall.

When I bought them last year they were on offer 4 for 39.99 

Cheers Carl

Dopey113

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 19:17 »
thanks everyone

Dopey113

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 19:23 »
Thanks for the link looking at these now... but pollination?

http://www.gardenbargains.com/item-500131-trfr/the-kitchen-orchard-collection.htm

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 20:43 »
They are all self fertile so no worries there  :)

OpenSourceAgriculture

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 21:04 »
Perhaps you may get some worth learning from my painful experience, on heavy clay in the wet cool West, following fruit trees planted over the last two years.  Being organic, I very religiously avoid chemical treatments, by the way.   (Organic is my personal choice, but not necessarily my recommendation to everyone.  I know from decades how much more work or genius or luck being organic requires.  Sometimes it goes like a dream, and other times it is a nightmare.    I stick to it because I know it is of overall benefit to nature, and not because I worry to death about consuming toxic chemicals).

1)  Concorde Pear Tree in a pot from Focus bought in October 2010 in full leaf for £10, planted soon after.    Survived the BIG FREEZE of 2010/11 easily.  Thriving in often boggy conditions but not yet produced any fruit.

2)  Russet Apple in a pot from Focus bought same time in full leaf.  REFUSED to drop its leaves when the BIG FREEZE came, so by the time the thaw and spring came round, the whole top down to the graft was  dead!  My second biggest failure.   Lesson is that fruit trees sold in pots in September looking like they are in full leaf often have been sprayed with hormones to keep them glossy and leafy and believing it is still summer, so if winter comes suddenly, they get killed.

3)  Cox Apple bareroot bought from Poundstretcher in spring 2011 for £7, planted in good sun in often boggy conditions.   Just surviving, I consider it to be a failure.

4) Comice pear planted in half-shaded area, bareroot from Pounstretcher also £7 in spring 2011.   Struggled through spring this year, apparently from an attack of Fireblight, (Erwinia) after a hailstorm, but now growing very healthily, though not as quickly as I would like.

5)  Laxton's Superb Apple bareroot, from Morrisons's bought in April 2011 for £5.   Planted where the Russet Apple didn't even survive one season.   THIS is MY ONLY real SUCCESS.  There are over 30 apples half formed on it already this year, all looking very healthy despite the wet gull summer.

6)  Stella cherry bareroot, bought from Poundstretcher in spring 2011 for £7, planted in full sun on heaviest clay slope.   Barely grown at all, but still alive and not suffering from any diseases this year.

7)  Greengage Tree (Old Greengage) in a pot, beautiful and in good leaf, bought from local botanical club last September,  most expensive fruit tree at about £20,  planted soon after.   On St Julien A quince rootstock.    Tried to put out a few leaves this spring, but died back, seemingly from bacterial canker (Brown Ooze from branch wound on main stem).  The tree is now almost dead, with only one tiny shoot from one twig left.   A painful warning against trying to grow old varieties in less than perfect conditions.  Greengages like warmth and lots of sunshine and well-drained soil!    My biggest failure, an ouch of such degree that I am glad it is nearly all over now.

8)  Two other apple trees, a James Grieve and a Braeburn, bought from Morrisons for £5 each this year are doing fab in pots.   Very happy with Morrisons fruit stock.  One of them I bought bareroot only in early June, stuck it in a pot and it is looking very happy with leaves already.   I only wish I hadn't wasted time on anybody else's rubbish.  It breaks your heart in spring to find that a fruit tree hasn't survived.    On clay, a vigorous root stock is essential, and although Morrisons does not state what root stock their fruit trees are grafted onto, it appears that they are on vigorous root stocks.  

Good luck, make the best sense out of all the advice you find, and if anything still goes wrong, you have my deepest sympathy.    
Life is Open Source, not licensed by a corporation.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 08:54 »
What soil preparation work did you do before planting your trees OSA? On heavy clay, I would dig a pretty large planting hole and incorporate lots of well rotted compost or farmyard manure.  If you didn't do this, mulching your trees over winter will help as the worms will drag the mulch down into the soil.

Dopey has already said on another thread that he has fairly light well drained soil, but the same advice applies.  The organic matter will enrich his soil and fruit trees do like to be in decent ground.

The other factor may be is you have trees planted in grass.  If you let the grass grow right up to the trunk it competes with the tree and the tree does not do so well in its first few years.  Clearing a circle around the trunk will help and mulch now with compost or manure - won't do any harm, just don't let the mulch pile up against the trunk.

Being organic should not be a barrier to enjoying a fruit crop  :)  I'm not organic, but I never spray my trees with any chemical treatments bar a bit of soapy water if the aphids get too bad and I do OK  :)

xx
Fruit suggestions

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 01, 2006, 15:31
by noshed
xx
Apple tree: suggestions please

Started by Florablunder on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 11, 2016, 13:17
by Yorkie
xx
Any suggestions to the mould on this apple tree?

Started by barney rubble on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 20:13
by barney rubble
xx
Peach & Apricot tree suggestions

Started by snowdrops on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 06, 2021, 13:21
by snowdrops

Page created in 1.986 seconds with 37 queries.