Not laying

• 1 Replies

Karenr

Not laying
« on: July 14, 2012, 13:01 »
We live in Italy and have just purchased 4 chickens - no idea of breed as just asked for "chickens for eggs not for eating" and was told these were the best for eggs.  Two white and two black/gold.  However it has been 5 weeks and not a single egg.  They have a brick built, insulated (35-40 degrees outside) house, with solar powered fan and the option to come out and roam freely under the olive trees etc.  They have 4 nesting boxes as well as perches.  They are only coming out evenings and then staying within 4-5 feet of their house.  We have two dogs - neither are aggressive towards the girls but the younger one is curious.  She regularly peers in at them and if they are out Flynnie sniffs their feathers and has been known to nudge one (sheep dog ancestry I suspect!).  Is this a getting to feel comfortable period for the chickens and eventually they will lay?

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: Not laying
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 15:46 »
I'm sure you will get lots of answers from those in the know, but do you know how old they are? Do you have any photos? Have they got red combs/wattles?

Our dogs are great with the chickens, but they are always keen to sniff bums(and eat poo....yeuch!) and one only has to give the younger dog a look and she is off. But generally we have a gang of five, two dogs and three chooks, the chooks trying to get into the kitchen with the dogs at every opportunity.

Welcome to the forums by the way!

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Intermittent egg laying/ thin shells/ no laying at all

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 11:34
by Jomtie
xx
Laying then sitting but not laying?

Started by MrTwang on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 21:48
by MrTwang
xx
gone off laying

Started by rob p on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post December 31, 2008, 12:18
by PagesPoultry

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 36 queries.