Padron pepper picking

• 14 Replies

Grubbypaws

Padron pepper picking
« on: July 12, 2012, 08:44 »
What is the ideal size to pick my Padron peppers?

From looking on the www it seems to be 2" but it would be great to hear from someone who has grown them.

compostqueen

Re: Padron pepper picking
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 08:49 »
You can pick them while they're small and get frying  :D  Pick them as you need to use them

Grubbypaws

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 18:13 »
Oh wow, I have just eaten my first Padron pepper. Grilled in a little olive oil until skin blistered and then sprinkled with sea salt  :D devine. How have I lived without?

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 19:36 »
 :D  Good feeling isn't it.

There are zillions of different chillies so you can extend yourself next year.  They're great fun  :)

Marcus10

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 22:08 »
I really enjoyed them in Spain so have grown 3 plants from seed. Harvested my first crop last night. I waited until I had approx 10 peppers to harvest. A big mistake!!

The largest ones were approx 10cm and nearly blew my head off. My wife could not eat them. The small ones at 5cm were fine. We now know for the future. A few at a time at 5cm is the way to go. Great things to grew because of the difficulty in buying them. Carrots are cheap in any supermarket but try finding Padron peppers!

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 22:14 »
Oh wow, I have just eaten my first Padron pepper. Grilled in a little olive oil until skin blistered and then sprinkled with sea salt  :D devine. How have I lived without?

I agree, they are very nice, but be warned, every now and again you will come across one that is hot enough to make your eyes water.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 22:17 »
Yes they are a lucky dip regarding heat intensity but that's why I like them.  Very nice stuffed with cheesy mash, coated in egg white and fried. ;)
Cheese makes everything better.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 10:25 »
Can I overwinter them?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 10:37 »
most peppers can be overwintered on a windowsill  ;)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 10:50 »
Yes they are a lucky dip regarding heat intensity but that's why I like them.  Very nice stuffed with cheesy mash, coated in egg white and fried. ;)

I'm growing frying peppers this year - Dedo de Mocha Sweet Aji - and that sounds fab Ice  :)  Excited to try them now and we know, cheese makes everything better  ;)  :D

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 11:27 »
cheese makes everything better  ;)  :D
It certainly does. :)

Grubbypaws

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 11:35 »
MOS do you have any info about how I go about overwintering. Do I prune them? how much light? How much water etc etc?

They are still inside in a sunny bay window in the propagator tray with a little baseline bottom heat. They are about 3 foot high and thriving. The ones that I put outside are scrawny and under a foot so I guess my front room is now permanent home to the padrons. At least I have a little more space now the giant yukka is no more  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 12:52 »
I treated my peppers really roughly last year............I dug up from the greenhouse border, trimmed roots so they would fit a midsize pot, and juggled a bit of compost round them.
I didn't prune them then, as they had a few fruits on, just plonked'em on the table in front of spare bedroom window and left them. After all the fruits ripened I barely watered them and pruned them by about half.

In about Feb I started to water a bit more as they started to grow, then changed to weak tomato food, by the time they could go out into the greenhouse they were already fruiting  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 13:04 »
Pretty much what I did, except they've been growing on a sunny windowsill since being sown in about February last year.

They're on their second flush of chillies so far this year - time will tell if they think they've done enough and it's time for another rest.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 14:38 »
I roughly did the same, mine stay indoors all year on south facing windowsills once they stop producing I give them a trim but they stay active most of the year round.

This thread made me go and cook some Padrons - If the Russian Roulette nickname is anything to go by I got shot every single time !!! :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Waiting for my mouth to cool down....  :D
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

clip
Picking cabbages.

Started by maddave on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 28, 2015, 21:51
by compostqueen
xx
Picking by the thousands!!

Started by Babstreefern on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 02, 2010, 23:22
by Livinhope
xx
Picking raspberries??

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 11, 2021, 19:35
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Our first strawberry picking

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 23:29
by suziet88

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 38 queries.