Re-grown potatoes...

• 13 Replies

Growster...

Re-grown potatoes...
« on: July 12, 2012, 06:19 »
I read somewhere that if you immediately replant the halm after taking off the potatoes, they produce another crop.

We tried this on the first 'Sharpes Express', and dug the first plant on 4th June, took out about 1lb of pots, (SE aren't heavy croppers) and replanted in the same spot.

Yesterday, we dug out 12oz of new pots, which were quite small, and had gathered in quite a tight bunch underground. One or two are slightly green, so they're going, but this is what came from nothing, so probably worth the half-minute it took to replant the old thing...
Spuds.jpg

mrsparkle

• Experienced Member
    • Wonderland Tea Parties
Re: Re-grown potatoes...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 13:15 »
Have you tasted the spuds yet, are they nice?

That's pretty darn good considering that it just came from leaves.

I'm gonna have to give it a try.

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 14:12 »
Have you any that you left in the ground so you can compare how much you would get if you left the original to grow untill yesterday.

I would expect that not touching the plant and letting it grow for the extra month would produce a greater weight of potatoes but I may be wrong.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 15:58 »
I have mentioned doing this in a couple of previous posts as, when I have lifted pots, I've seen tiny ones that I thought, if left to grow, I could get another crop of whatever useable size. Rather then lifting, I was thinking about carefully furtling underneath to get useable ones, then leaving the haulm in place so it can develop these smaller ones - maybe earth up too aferwards? Blow it - I'm going to give it a try  ::)!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

hushda24

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 16:14 »
Looks good to me  :tongue2:

I was going to do it myself this morning after harvesting a pentland jav.
My hubby said dont bother  :mad:

Every bin i empty from now on will get a replant aswell  :D

Looks like were all gona do it  :D

Kirpi

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 17:40 »
If you just grub around - furtle - for potatoes instead of lifting the whole plant, the smaller ones will continue to grow and the roots will have had little disturbance.

Why dig up the plant when you can leave it to grow on until it has finished producing?

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 13:21 »
My feelings exactly, Kirpi!

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 06:31 »
Have you tasted the spuds yet, are they nice?

That's pretty darn good considering that it just came from leaves.

I'm gonna have to give it a try.

They were pretty damn good Mrsparkle - very waxy, and didn't split up during cooking! This may have been because they were all quite small tough.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 06:33 »
Have you any that you left in the ground so you can compare how much you would get if you left the original to grow untill yesterday.

I would expect that not touching the plant and letting it grow for the extra month would produce a greater weight of potatoes but I may be wrong.

Afraid not Terry!

I'm going to try it on some second earlies (Charlotte), but reckon that it will be too late in the season to get a result!

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 06:38 »
If you just grub around - furtle - for potatoes instead of lifting the whole plant, the smaller ones will continue to grow and the roots will have had little disturbance.

Why dig up the plant when you can leave it to grow on until it has finished producing?

We tried the standard furtle method Kirpi, as we'd cloched the first few plants to bring them on a couple of weeks, and as the ground was as hard as nails (no rain, can you believe it), the soil (hasn't been cultivated for years - maybe 10 even), just didn't afford a decent poke around, and it was all getting a bit tiresome!

Easy answer to your second para though - they're expensive in the shops, get 'em when they're small and beat the rush! Slaughter 'em when they're young...

Kirpi

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 08:01 »
The answer to your hard ground is to adopt the lasagne method.

The answer to your second paragraph - well do you want to get the most out of your plot or were your bored with your potatoes and wanted to clear the plot? You're in charge of your little patch!

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 16:20 »
Furtling in hard ground can't be easy, nor can re-planting your pots afterwards. Maybe others on here with damp ( :lol:) ground will find it easier and have more of an idea if it is worth it?

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 18:25 »
I think I know that Kirpi!

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 18:31 »
Furtling in hard ground can't be easy, nor can re-planting your pots afterwards. Maybe others on here with damp ( :lol:) ground will find it easier and have more of an idea if it is worth it?

Replanting was much easier Goosey - straight out with the old, straight in with the new!

We'll be doing this with the 'Charlotte' as well - much easier than furtling, and as they're second earlies, there's nothing to lose!

We have a Patch and a half, and time/work needs to be organised, so we don't piddle about too much, just get the jobs done over a couple of hours each day over the weekend, and an hour a day during the week - that's when we can of course!

Mrs Growster and I have a fine system, and we sometimes meet halfway between the Patch and the plot!

xx
has anyone grown sweet potatoes?

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post November 04, 2009, 23:21
by noshed
xx
Cooking home grown potatoes

Started by Poolfield2 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 01, 2008, 23:56
by Deano
xx
potatoes in grown in potato bags

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 15, 2018, 09:10
by New shoot
xx
Feeding container grown potatoes

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 02, 2022, 10:33
by Grubbypaws

Page created in 0.695 seconds with 36 queries.