rats and treadle feeders

• 3 Replies

snow white

rats and treadle feeders
« on: July 11, 2012, 21:26 »
know this has been done before but .... Even though I bring my girls feeder in every night into an old fridge, we are attracting rats.  I put some poison down at their entrance to our garden and the damn rat ate it and entered the run, died and laid there for me to find.  this is all in broad daylight.  Next day caught a rat about to enter the run, so I picked up my rake and killed it.  :(.  My poor chicks must be terrified.  I have been reading about treadle feeders and think it might be the solution, but have read that a big rat could still work the treadle.  What are your experiences with them.  

8doubles

Re: rats and treadle feeders
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 07:52 »
If you have rats big enough to operate a treadle feeder i would not want to go out in your garden !  :blink: :unsure:

The only downside of a few treadle feeders is that young hens can sometimes flick food under the treadle plate where they cannot reach it afterwards.

There is no quick fix and the war against rodent pests is liable to continue for ever.

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 14:48 »
You could try hanging your feeder off the ground, perhaps suspend it underneath a table and have it hang about the height of the chickens back off the ground... Rodents would struggle then.
x1 Light Sussex x1 Black Rock x1 Bluebell x1 Silver Sussex

grinling

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 21:34 »
You need to  dig around the outside of the run and bury weld mesh or chicken wire in. I dug down at least a spade depth and doubled over chicken wire before attaching to the run wire.
I don't do poison as the chooks might eat it, but use a trap. I bait traps with peanut butter or chook food in the cage trap.

xx
Treadle feeders

Started by ehs284 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 20:00
by Blobbs
xx
Treadle feeders

Started by jennie hennie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 10:03
by Springlands
xx
Treadle feeders and injuries?

Started by Chablis Dog on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post January 18, 2011, 08:49
by Chablis Dog
xx
Treadle Feeders Advice Please

Started by Knight Family on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 20:36
by joyfull

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 35 queries.