Potato Blight

• 18 Replies

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Re: Potato Blight
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 14:30 »
I love a good fire made from pallets and garden waste!! Mine will be done tomorrow!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 21:41 »
I am going to rethink for next year and one thing I will do differently will be to have a quick fire insitu once the hulms have been cut but before digging the potatoes up . an old farmer was telling me today that they used to use a flame thrower as this burnt the tops of and helped to prevent the blight traveling down the stems into the spuds  ;)
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 21:51 »
Mooncarrot, once you have waited the 2 weeks for the spores to die off before digging up your potatoes, if they are okay, they may still store okay, rather than trying to eat them all at once! 

They will last in the ground for some whilte, but then the slugs and things start to nibble.  I had very bad blight about 5-6 years ago on my Desiree, but I cut the tops off and waited the 2 weeks.  When I dug up the potatoes, I left them on racks to dry off a bit then put them into the dark and checked them every few days.

A few had been infected, but most of them were fine!

rubyrose

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 23:16 »
last weekend at lotty had to cut all tops of our main crop potatoes as blight was working its way through (had not been to lotty for 5 days and they were ok then )  So will be digging them up next weekend with fingers crossed.. we had planted picasso, cara and desiree. we are near Gt Yarmouth and this is our 3rd year on lotty but 1st time for potatoes to get blight and I had'nt sprayed them as want'ed to stay as organic as possible.   

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
clip
Potato Blight

Started by vikingraider on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 13, 2023, 09:33
by vikingraider
xx
potato blight

Started by flowergirl on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 20, 2007, 23:12
by jackiestagg
xx
Is this potato blight ?

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post August 22, 2012, 06:41
by hubballi

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 35 queries.