Weedy, whsipy spring onions.

• 8 Replies

hubballi

Weedy, whsipy spring onions.
« on: July 11, 2012, 17:19 »
Here we (I) go again. Another year of not being able to grow something simple like spring onions. I started them off in March and they got off to a good start. Then, as usual they either

1) never get any bigger (despite being healthy in good compost etc)

2) Get thinner and thinner until whispy and light resulting in them just fading or withering.

My friend gave me one of her spring onions today and it was like shop bought. Thick and jucy. I asked if it were her first sowing and she said it was only sowed 5 weeks ago.

It's just so depressing when you see other people's results making yours look pathetic. I have given them a feed of liquid chicken manure (diluted in water) to see if ewt happens but I fear they will stay the same size all season. I still have a red spring onion in the same pot from LAST SUMMER which is still the same size. There seems to be forces at work that stop growth of a lot of my veg getting past a certain point.  :(

This has happened with

Carrots
Kale
oriental onions
Chili Peppers
Radish
Courgettes.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 17:22 by hubballi »

Christine

Re: Weedy, whsipy spring onions.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 07:45 »
Must be the weather specific to your allotment  :D

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 08:11 »
Five weeks sounds pretty fast to me! I know the packets all say just a few weeks but I have tried several varieties and they all seem to take ages for me! They do get there eventually, I just have to be patient and sow accordingly! :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 08:19 »
FIVE weeks?!?!!  :ohmy:  ::)  (I want some of them there seeds please!)  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 08:47 »
If several crops seem not to thrive it may be that your soil is acid and needs some lime. You can buy a simple test kit from garden centres.

Your pH level should be between 6.5 and 8. Read the section on liming on this site. Do not put too much on and do not just put it on without testing because acidity may not be your problem.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:17 by Salmo »

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 08:51 »
Some of mine are growing only very slowly but I put it down to too much shade in the garden so had the hedge cut last weekend  :)  I have fed mine but they seem to sit there not doing much at all. 

It's cold, wet and there's been precious little sun, so it's hardly surprising they're not romping away

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 09:39 »
I have the same problem Hubballi - sowed in March, and still tiny. I have had success with them before, on previous allotments, so maybe I need to do the acid test. That said, the ones I am doing this year are red ones, which never seem to do as well as white. Plus the weather has been awful.
Rachael

hubballi

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 17:53 »
Mine are not in the soil, in compost in a container. Even the ones I bring indoors in the windowsill eventually fade so it's nothing to do with the weather.

Lisbon67

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 19:56 »
I've got three separate sowings made in March - one in compost in a container, one in rich home made compost in the ground, and the other in normal soil. None are bigger than 10cm tall.

xx
Spring onions still very small and weedy

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 21:32
by sunshineband
xx
autumn planted onions lifted early for spring onions

Started by Lisbon67 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 20:49
by Annen
xx
overwintering spring onions and bulb onions

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2019, 19:10
by sunshineband
xx
spring onions

Started by DadBear on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 29, 2007, 09:41
by DadBear

Page created in 1.409 seconds with 37 queries.