which way is garden facing

• 36 Replies

puffinstuff

« on: November 11, 2007, 10:41 »
Can anyone help.  I would like to know which aspect (i think that is the term) my rear garden is facing.  Is there a specific formula for working this out.  I think the sun risese from the front of the house and sets at the rear.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

puffinstuff

WG.

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 10:53 »
Put a stick in the ground.  At midday, the shadow will point approx North.  Now all you need is some sunshine

gobs

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 10:57 »
I think you answered yourself there, where the sun sets that would be usually  West. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 12:46 »
Generally the sun sets in the west, although of course, the sun appears to set in slightly different places depending on the time of year, so do you know which time of year the sun definitely sets in the west Gobs???

I'm not sure

mushroom

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 13:05 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
Generally the sun sets in the west,

"generally"  :?:

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 13:10 »
july  2007

navigation without a compass  

If you don't have a compass, or manage to loose it on route, you can still find north quite accurately using the sun (by day), or the stars (by night), as long as there is not too much cloud about.

Celestial/ Star Navigation

In the northern hemisphere you will need to find only one star. The hardest thing for some people is to forget myths they have learned over the years about certain stars and constellations.  

The North Star is important because it never moves. It is always in the same place --the north sky. It is the very end of the handle of the little dipper. Measure the distance between the two stars that form the end of the 'pan' Now draw a straight line through those two stars. Measure along that line 5 times the thickness of the pan. That is where the North or Pole star is located. To check your work, if you are close to 30 degrees latitude, the north star should be three hand widths above the horizon. The farther north you go, the higher it will be in the sky. On the north pole, it would be almost over head. Near the equator it is invisible, and it's location must be approximated by looking for the big dipper or Cassiopeia.

In the southern hemisphere, you can find due south by looking for the southern cross. It rotates around the south pole. If you draw a line from the top of the cross straight through the bottom and on across the sky, the line will pass through a due south point. Remember this: If you are at 30 degrees latitude, the imaginary 'South Star' will about 3 hand widths above the horizon. There is no southern pole star.

But be careful. The False Cross is nearby... don't use it!!!!

Sun Navigation

Take a stick and push it into the ground straight up. Place a small rock on the tip of the shadow that is cast. Wait about 20 minutes and place another small rock on the tip of the 'new' shadow. Now draw a straight line between the two rocks. This line points east -west. Stand with your left toe on the first rock and your right toe on the second. Think of it this way -- if the sun moves from east to west, then the shadow moves from west to east, right? Based on the same principle, you can use sticks to determine direction from shadows.

1. Find a flat piece of ground and then put a stick upright in it. Mark the top of the shadow with a pebble or something else. A line drawn between these 2 points gives the west-east line with the first point being west. This is only really accurate around midday.

2.If you have more time, plot points for a whole day. The point on the curve which is nearest the stick is due north. See below:

If you have an analogue wrist watch, the kind with hands, showing the correct time, you can use the hands to find north. Hold your watch up in front of you, and let the short hand, that indicates hours point at the sun. While holding it like this, cut the angle between the red arrow and 12 o'clock in two, that way is south. Don't forget, this is based on GMT! If you are in British Summer Time, use the 1 instead of the 12, (as in the diagram right).

Many people wear digital watches these days. If you do, draw an analogue watch face on a piece of paper, and then mark the hour hand on using the digital watch. The rest of the method is identical.

Natural Signs

Normally, there will be fewer and thinner branches to the north. This is usually easiest to see if you look up along the trunk of the tree.
The north face of the tree would be more humid than the south face, which is something most species of lichen likes, and consequently, there will be more of it on the north face.
Ants also like to build their nests on the south side of the tree.

Making you own compass

You can make your own compass by magnetising a needle. Rub the needle about 24 times with a silk scarf or magnet. Suspend the needle in the mid-point on some string and it will point north.

from survival skills for scouts
still alive /............

mushroom

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 13:11 »
Quote from: "gobs"
I think you answered yourself there, where the sun sets that would be usually  West. :wink:

"Usually"  :?:

Presumably when it sets in the north, it's unusual. On my planet, the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 13:12 »
Well okay, it does set in the west, but haven't you noticed, with the movement of the earth, 'west' moves slightly?  at some times in the year the sun sets over one set of trees in the garden, but then at another time it sets somewhere else!

I know what I mean!!!!!   :oops:  :oops:

mushroom

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 13:27 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

gobs

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 14:13 »
Oh, dear, oh dear, it's not safe to say a thing on these forums, Mushy and Grannie I shall have you both know, that it is the Earth moving around. :roll:  :lol:  :lol:

I think puffinstuff might just want to take the compass out at at this stage. And that's another one for Ice and Sally. :)

WG.

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 14:29 »
I think puffinstuff might just want to take the compass out at at this stage
Only if he/she wants to find Magnetic North which can differ significantly from True North.  :wink:

gobs

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 16:33 »
I thought in the morning we might end up discussing that, is there such a big difference that would have any bearing on gardening practices, supposing, that's why the question was raised. :?:

Selkie

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 16:37 »
Quote from: "muntjac"

But be careful. The False Cross is nearby... don't use it!!!!

oooh what happens if you use the false cross? you'll be dooomed!! (sorry, it just sounds like something from blackadder or some comedy)

BEWARE OF THE FALSE CROSS!

gobs

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 16:41 »
I'd imagine you'd be well doomed if that's your only way to directions. :lol:

WG.

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 16:58 »
I thought in the morning we might end up discussing that, is there such a big difference that would have any bearing on gardening practices, supposing, that's why the question was raised. :?:
No, not really Mag Declination ranges between 4 and 7 degrees over most of the UK.

Equally, putting a stick in the ground seems a lot easier as I originally replied.

xx
South Facing Wall

Started by Jamie Butterworth on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post January 20, 2011, 07:58
by Jamie Butterworth
xx
shrubs for south facing wall please???

Started by fisher on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 20:05
by fisher
xx
climber for a north facing fence

Started by Chiswickian on General Gardening

17 Replies
Last post January 02, 2010, 15:44
by sion01
xx
Plant ideas for against a North facing wall

Started by Mrs.Veg on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post February 27, 2007, 21:26
by WG.

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 36 queries.