Need to clear weeds and have visible results in 4-6 weeks

• 42 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Need to clear weeds and have visible results in 4-6 weeks
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2012, 09:06 »
Lasagna beds, while they're rotting down - don't really look like cultivation IMO.

I think you'd be better to mark off some large beds with string - quickly rake over digging up just the worst weeds and sow mustard or phacelia green manure.  It would give you visible cultivated areas rather than a sea of unplanted ground, and to my mind would take less time and effort than collecting all the stuff for lasagna beds.

Once you've satisfied the council you will have time to make them - if thats what you want to do.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2012, 10:47 »
I'd agree with Mum on that.  You also have a lot of perennial weed looking at the picture that will come through a lasagne bed and unless you keep on top of it, you will be back to square one pretty quickly.

You still have the DIY work at home to content with and this late in the season, the council will expect to see ground clearing rather than full of crops.  

I still think strim and spray is the quickest option.  Cover the ground, set up some lasgane beds and clear a bit to sow some green manure.  You can expand the lasagne beds later if you find they work well for you  :)

I took over a plot which was very overgrown, and when I finally hacked my way into the worst of the central bit, I found some labels saying lasagne.  Confused me no end (I was thinking the spagetti tree hoax) until I looked it up  :lol:  The weeds had loved all the compost thrown on top of them and were giant lush things   ::)

Kirpi

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2012, 11:40 »
I have laid lasagne beds on top of docks, perennial thistle beds and nettles. Unless they are taking their time (three years), they aint coming through twelve inches of composting biomass.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2012, 12:05 »
I have laid lasagne beds on top of docks, perennial thistle beds and nettles. Unless they are taking their time (three years), they aint coming through twelve inches of composting biomass.

Can only go by what I found on my plot  :)  Docks and thistles rooted down through a mound of compost that took a bit of clearing.  

If it worked for you then great, but that's a lot of biomass for Mrs Sparkle to find in the time period she has to pacify the council and as Mum says, they may not view the beds as cultivated anyway.  Unless tended regularly, stuff will seed onto the top even if it is twarted from below. Best to check with them, explain your plans and see what the reaction is first I think  :)

Kirpi

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2012, 12:09 »
Wind blown thistles rooting down is completely different to established beds being mulched out. Each to their own - Mrs Sparkle already has a lot of the biomass she needs to get a lasagne bed going in the weeds already there.

Anyway - each to their own.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2012, 23:19 »
Lasagna beds, while they're rotting down - don't really look like cultivation IMO.

Hi, I do think it depends on how the beds are done, I don't actually let mine rot down as I have always used this method on plots taken over in mid summer when the soil was simply too hard to cultivate but prime time for getting something harvested.  Because I have only set these up in summer, I find they rot down super quickly so you barely notice the layers after three weeks.  Of course, since I have set up these beds and having broken my fork trying to dig out the perennial weeds, it hasn't stopped raining and now the soil is fine to dig!  

Here are images of my new plot (took over plot in early-June):

Before cultivation (had just started chopping down grass with shears):

Two weeks ago with lasagne beds in place so far:

I have already harvested mange tout and courgettes from these beds and have mulched the paths now.

I think it is easier hoeing over the top layer of compost as opposed to trying to dig through matted couch and bindweed (in my case).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 23:26 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Kirpi

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2012, 23:32 »
Excellent work angela and proof that lsagne beds don't need to look like kitchen scrap heaps!

mrsparkle

• Experienced Member
    • Wonderland Tea Parties
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2012, 12:44 »
I'm gonna do both.

half allotment with lasanga and then use glysophosphate on the other half and cover it. 

It will be in interesting to see how it goes.

Kirpi

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2012, 19:14 »
good for you Mrs Sparkle. Lasagne beds don't have to look unsightly even when they are still cooking - just turn anything ugly underneath and top the whole thing with grass clippings or homemade compost, or even black polythene and grow through the polythene straight into the decomposing layers - it works.

SG6

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2012, 19:36 »
If you need to have it clear in 4-6 weeks then really glyphosphate is the sensible way to go.
I would make it up a bit stronger then is recommended, Spray the area well but from close down to prevent over spray.

Wait for the weeds to die. Then dig it over lightly to at least create a surface.

Then watch it for about a week and respray for anything that starts to grow from dormant seeds. They will grow.

Spray and cover will mean the same as you will have to uncover and dig it anyway. I doubt they will a covered allotment as a cultivated one. So you could be concealing the problem from yourself.

My concern is that trying different methods is fine if you have the time and nothing is depending on it. What do you do if one doesn't work in the time ? A lasagne bed doesn't exactly sound as if it will meet the requirements.

Kirpi

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2012, 19:38 »
Oh well, never mind.

It worked for me.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2012, 21:03 »
No-one is saying lasagne beds didn't work for you Kirpi, but there are other ways to tackle the problem.  Mrs Sparkle is in threat of losing her plot and I'm sure there are quite a few others on here that have been in the same boat.  Everyone's advice and opinions are valuable for them :)

Mrs S - I think half and half is a good decision and wish you all the best.  Please do post pictures of your progress as I'm interested to see how it goes as well  :)

Kirpi

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2012, 21:33 »
I take your point new shoot. All the best with your experiment and your allotment Mrs Sparkle.  :)

question
Technique - How should I clear the weeds?

Started by chubby on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 00:14
by herbiegrowsbananas
xx
Apple drop. To clear or not to clear?

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 24, 2015, 21:03
by Growster...
xx
Weeds, Weeds and more weeds (oh and couch grass)

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 17:10
by jaydig
xx
Weeds - Never ending weeds

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 20:35
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 38 queries.