Need to clear weeds and have visible results in 4-6 weeks

• 42 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Need to clear weeds and have visible results in 4-6 weeks
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 17:17 »
Yes, I can see that it has been banned on searching for it, however I bought some withing the last 3 years, so is only commercially that it is banned? but I will stop using it now and buy something else.

It's banned full stop so please do stop using it and look at Danthemans link about why and the health issues surrounding its use for your own safety  :)  You will need to contact your council about safe disposal of what you have  ;)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 17:29 »
Yes, I can see that it has been banned on searching for it, however I bought some withing the last 3 years, so is only commercially that it is banned? but I will stop using it now and buy something else.

It's banned full stop so please do stop using it and look at Danthemans link about why and the health issues surrounding its use for your own safety  :)  You will need to contact your council about safe disposal of what you have  ;)

Amilo, this site does not condone or encourage the illegal use of pesticides.  Please desist from recommending them.

The use of paraquat was banned over 6 years ago, according to the RHS.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 17:34 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 18:57 »
he's already been told that  ;)

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 19:27 »
Paraquat is not legal to use in the UK and hasn't been for some time.  Glyphosate is the main weedkiller now in use for home growers.

The advantage of using a weedkiller prior to covering the ground comes into its own on overgrown plots which have big perennial weeds in them.  These will push up weed membrane and push through any but the heaviest duty kinds.  If they are dying because treated, then covered, the problem is vasty reduced and you can spray the odd interloper that hasn't taken the hint.

If you need to have stuff growing, you could start now in pots and plant out later or order a veg plant collection from a seed company or try the local garden centre.  Sowing direct, you could do a late crop of turnips, or spinich, salad leaves or oriental greens - all quick and easy, or chard and spring cabbage to overwinter :)

The OP is in a hurry to make a big difference to the appearance and to me it seems the fastest and easiest way to do it.

Yes,please don't use paraquat,I saw many animals die from it when veterinary nursing.They drown in their own fluid when it accumulates in the abdomen and chest,not a nice way to go : (

edit to fix quote
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 19:39 by Yorkie »

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 19:30 »
he's already been told that  ;)

Thank you.

Kirpi

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 19:53 »
Wellpotty has the right idea. Scalp the weeds with a spade, put sheets of corrugated cardboard on the cleared ground then pile the scalped weeds onto the cardboard. Make it obvious you are building no-dig lasagne beds and I don't think they can complain much.

This will not take long to rot down in this weather. Add grass clippings and other compostable waste and you will soon have a nice compost to plant into.

Sow into pots of compost and plant through the sheet compost rather than trying to sow seeds in it for this first year.

No weedkillers, not much hard work and a lot of work done in a short space of time.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 21:57 »
just ask at you local shops they will be please to give you boxes as they have to pay to dipose of them.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2012, 22:42 »
I agree with Kirpi.  I am a big fan of lasagne gardening as a way to convert overgrown plots quickly.  If you see my gardening diary on here (see the link below in my signature) I am almost done converting a small plot to complete growing using this method.  

Get hold of loads of cardboard (local shops or freecycle) and stock up with some free manure from your stables or grass clippings, cut all the grass/weeds down, work out where you want your beds and lay the cardboard over these areas, overlapping well and cover in manure.  

Keep on top of the grass paths over the next few months until its growth slows down and then plant overwintering onions and garlic in the beds when you are ready.  Get hold of some leek plants from ebay and plant some overwintering lettuce under a cloche.  

If you don't want the grass paths, contact your local council forestry team and see if they can deliver wood chippings to site for free (ours do) and use weed suppressant fabric to cover the grass, topped with the wood chip.

For more information, see http://ourgardengang.tripod.com/lasagna_gardening.htm as a starting point, but google it - there is lots of info online.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 22:44 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

sarajane

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 08:45 »
Mrsparkle, have you responded to the councils letter.

Try explaining to them about your house move, the work involved and that you have a plan to bring your plot back into full cultivation but that you will need more than 6 weeks to enable you to do so.  Many of us have years when we struggle and they may give you a little more 'breathing space' to clear the plot. Good Luck

mrsparkle

• Experienced Member
    • Wonderland Tea Parties
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 10:39 »
I agree with Kirpi.  I am a big fan of lasagne gardening as a way to convert overgrown plots quickly.  If you see my gardening diary on here (see the link below in my signature) I am almost done converting a small plot to complete growing using this method.  

Get hold of loads of cardboard (local shops or freecycle) and stock up with some free manure from your stables or grass clippings, cut all the grass/weeds down, work out where you want your beds and lay the cardboard over these areas, overlapping well and cover in manure.  

Keep on top of the grass paths over the next few months until its growth slows down and then plant overwintering onions and garlic in the beds when you are ready.  Get hold of some leek plants from ebay and plant some overwintering lettuce under a cloche.  

If you don't want the grass paths, contact your local council forestry team and see if they can deliver wood chippings to site for free (ours do) and use weed suppressant fabric to cover the grass, topped with the wood chip.

For more information, see http://ourgardengang.tripod.com/lasagna_gardening.htm as a starting point, but google it - there is lots of info online.

I really like the sound of this but will if work if my plot has a lot of perrenial weeds, especially Docks and Bindweed?

I went up there last night managed to clear half the plot: chopped the weeds down to about 30cm tall.

The tarpaulins I had used in the winter to cover my veg patches have held out and it seems that it was mostly the grassy paths that have gone wild.

There are some beds that I didn't get tarpaulin down on so will try lasanga style on them assumins it can cope with perrenials,.

Kirpi

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 19:51 »
The worst it will do in the case of docks and bindweedis it will hold them off and buy you time before they appear through again.

Some will be killed out by the deep mulch and not appear again. Some bigger stronger plants may poke through but they will then be forked out. Bindweed shows up no matter how clean you make your ground and I just pull it off at ground level and that holds it back enough for veggies to grow.

My feeling is I would fork up any obvious large docks and lasagne cover the rest. You will be surprised how many perennials will not show through a lasagne bed once it has rotted down a bit and you have added a few new layers to keep the depth up. Try it on a section of your plot to see how it does against other methods.

angelavdavis

• An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 11:46 »
I really like the sound of this but will if work if my plot has a lot of perrenial weeds, especially Docks and Bindweed?

Kirpi is right on this one.  You need to dig out the dock in particular - I had some dock and very large plantain which I dug out individually as both will push up the weed suppressant or grow through the lasagne layers.  

My plot was infested with couch and bindweed.  I pulled up the top growth before covering but found that the lasagne treatment weakens the bindweed, so it can be spot treated with glyphosate when it reappears around the edges.

It sounds like your best bet with your paths is to go grass free, although you could easily just cut the grass to restore order.  How is the condition of the soil under the tarpaulin?  If the weeds have died off, simply cover the beds with wet newspaper layers (minimum 5 sheets) and top with clean grass clippings, well rotted manure, HM or bought compost and plant through this - it will keep the weeds down while the plants are growing.

Sarajane is also right - it is worth responding to the email to buy yourself some time.

mrsparkle

• Experienced Member
    • Wonderland Tea Parties
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 14:30 »
Can I empty growbags on to the cardboard when I create my lasanga and I cannot easily get peat and manure is going to be really heavy at the moment because my local stables keeps it outside in the rain.

Even the Docks seems to be coming up through where the old paths were so I think i've been pretty lucky.  I'll glysophosphat them and lasagna the space that were previously used as beds.  

If anyone is interested to see my gorgeous plot of weeds  please see the link below for a Jun2011 image from the bottom of my plot and the image I took the other day (from the top of the plot-you can just about make out the bamboo canes)

July 2012:

June 2011

angelavdavis

• An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 21:54 »
Yes I am guessing that you already have growbags in place on site?  Otherwise, I would imagine it being a fairly expensive way to create the lasagne beds. 

If you can add grass clippings and shredded paper (ie compost browns) to the layers, it would be better in the long run as the lasagne bed is less likely to go sour.

Kirpi

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 22:21 »
I can't think that any authority could criticise you as it is obvious you are working the area.

Lasagne can be built of spent grow bags, shredded paper, newspaper shredded, leaves, grass mowings and of course your own weeds, vegetable waste from the kitchen, manures, hay, coffee grounds - once you start building your beds you will find all kinds of sources.

Doesnt take long for the beds to cook down and then you plant into the bed.

question
Technique - How should I clear the weeds?

Started by chubby on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 00:14
by herbiegrowsbananas
xx
Apple drop. To clear or not to clear?

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 24, 2015, 21:03
by Growster...
xx
Weeds, Weeds and more weeds (oh and couch grass)

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 17:10
by jaydig
xx
Weeds - Never ending weeds

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 20:35
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.984 seconds with 38 queries.