growing leek

• 7 Replies

sundiaye

growing leek
« on: July 10, 2012, 02:10 »
It's the first time I grow leek. So I put the leek seedlings just in the soil without digging that dip/hole. I now read that I should have set them in a dip in order to develop that brighter green stem base. They are now pencil thick. Should I better carefully dig them out again and create that hole to put them deeper into the soil? Or is it better to let them grow as they are now?

Sean.

Re: growing leek
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 04:11 »
I think its best to have a bit of a deeper hole. More of a trench, but don't cover the leeks fully, as they will expand and grow, then need earthing up. Dig them out carefully, as the roots can be quite long, and the leek can break easy.

I have grown them from seeds before, and dug them and moved them as they have grown :)
leek-bed.jpg

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 11:34 »
You could try digging them out or just put some collars round them.
Cardboard or dark plastic tubes, this is what growers do for show leeks.
Both methods produce the white blanched section at the bottom of the leek. 

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 13:09 »
I was going to say dig them up gently and replant as I pot on after they have grown about 3 leaves, then plant later on as it gives them more room to develop, but I think TerryB has the best idea. My OH prefers the white part for cooking, so I have saved cardboard tubes from Crimbo wrapping paper as it is quite sturdy compared to loo rolls; also I have some kitchen roll tubes as a back up if I don't have enough.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 14:15 »
Although it partly depends on how long yours have been planted out young leeks can stand a bit of root damage (some people trim the roots anyway when dibbing in), so I'd use a narrow trowel to lift them one at a time, then the same trowel to make an 8" deep hole and drop them back in (it's the way I do it anyway because I don't own a dibber!)

I've never tried the collar method, mainly because I can't be bothered and I don't mind the greener parts of the stem anyway - I guess the number you are growing could also have a bearing on what will work best for you.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sundiaye

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 22:12 »
Thank you everybody, that was already really helpful. I know what to do now!

Grubbypaws

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 10:22 »
My first year as well.

I have sown them in modules whilst I wait for space to come free. They are quite tiny but roots are already popping out of the bottom. When should I transplant them to their final position?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 10:32 »
Recommended time is when they get to pencil thickness, but we've had plenty of people (including me 2 years ago!) losing patience and planting them out at "biro refill thickness"!  :lol:

They really need to be going in now to get to a decent size this year, but if they are only at the stage of the first leaf straightening up they are too small to plant out yet.

xx
Thinning leek seedlings (sorry another leek question)

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 07:21
by DD.
xx
Leek pro

Started by corynsboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 04, 2008, 11:21
by corynsboy
xx
I need help with a Leek

Started by Trevorfm on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 18, 2017, 13:29
by viettaclark
xx
leek fly

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 06, 2007, 12:57
by WG.

Page created in 0.511 seconds with 37 queries.