Overwatering tomato plants?

• 7 Replies

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
Overwatering tomato plants?
« on: July 09, 2012, 12:00 »
I’ve been growing 9 tomato plants in tomarite grow bugs in my polytunnel (plum celine, gardeners’ delight and moneymaker varities). They have been doing really well and all have several trusses of green fruit on them (the plums especially are huge). The plant nearest the door has always been a bit yellower than the others, however this weekend I spotted that some of the stems are starting to turn brown and look like they’ve got greyish mould spores on them. This has started to spread slowly to some of the other plants and a couple of the tomatoes have dropped off.

I am using 3 litre plastic bottles with spouts poked into the growbags as slow release water reservoirs and watering them about 3 times a week, refilling the bottles a couple of times with each watering. I’ve also been alternating tomato liquid feed with a liquid manure / nettle feed every week.

What could be causing this? Do you think I’m over watering them?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Overwatering tomato plants?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 12:06 »
Have you been shutting doors and windows up? - it's Botrytis cause by too damp an atmosphere.
Pick off all effected leaves/fruit and leave windows/doors open unless it's less than 12/13C outside.

Unless it's very hot the toms wouldn't want more than about a  litre a day each - but I'm sure your problem is not enough ventilation

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 12:42 »
I reduced my watering to every other day because to the weather
Paul

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 13:03 »
I think my hanging basket tomatoes are suffering badly from over watering too, but there's nothing I can do about that. They've got more brown stems and yellow or brown leaves now than they have green. I've been chucking in BFB, basket feed, tomato feed, seaweed feed, everything I can think of to put some nutrients back, but none of it seems to be helping.

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 14:18 »
Thanks everyone. I will cut down on the watering (I only get up there at the weekends and once during the week  so I worry the poor things will get thirsty, but maybe I've been over zealous with the weather being as dull and wet as it has been of late).

Have you been shutting doors and windows up? - it's Botrytis cause by too damp an atmosphere.
Pick off all effected leaves/fruit and leave windows/doors open unless it's less than 12/13C outside.

Unless it's very hot the toms wouldn't want more than about a  litre a day each - but I'm sure your problem is not enough ventilation

I think you're probably right. I've not been opening the door much because it's been cooler. Do you think my chillis will be OK if I leave the door open a bit? They're quite near the door but there's nowhere else to put them. One of them's starting to go red, which is very exciting!!  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 14:40 »
They should be fine, with the door left open a bit

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 21:02 »
Quote from: Pony Girl
Do you think my chillis will be OK if I leave the door open a bit? They're quite near the door but there's nowhere else to put them. One of them's starting to go red, which is very exciting!!  :D

Hiya, As I am just up the road, I thought I would let you know that I have been keeping my door and window open on the greenhouse (despite it getting a bit colder) and my chillis are OK. 
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 07:55 »
That's great. I'll get my friend onto it!! Thanks  :D

xx
Overwatering

Started by DopeyAlex on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 18:29
by DopeyAlex
xx
Overwatering

Started by jaycee on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post September 19, 2007, 13:14
by jacnal
xx
Tomato plants - R - Us...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

48 Replies
Last post April 15, 2014, 17:38
by sunshineband
xx
My tomato plants

Started by gill robinson on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 23, 2020, 16:41
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.464 seconds with 37 queries.