Choosing potatoes for next year: blight

• 4 Replies

Kirpi

Choosing potatoes for next year: blight
« on: July 08, 2012, 22:41 »
We seem to get blight every year on our allotment and I am starting to look towards ordering for next year's crops. I am thinking:

First Early: Orla or Pentland Javelin
Second Early: Kestrel
Early Maincrop: Orla

Is Orla for first early and early maincrop the same seed potato but left in the ground longer before harvesting or are there different strains? Anyone know?

Has anyone tried any of the Sarpo range of potatoes; suposed to be the top of range against blight at present - but what do they taste like?

solway cropper

Re: Choosing potatoes for next year: blight
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 23:20 »
If you live in a blight-prone area and don't wish to use chemical sprays then it seems pointless to me trying to grow maincrop spuds. Just grow second earlies like Kestrel which will store just as well. First earlies would normally be lifted before blight strikes so any variety should be OK.

Kirpi

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 23:33 »
Thanks Solway cropper. I think you are right. My kestrel tops were blighted, but not before the potatoes had reached a good size, so I will use this one as a storer next year.

I read on the 'net that someone had grown the Sárpo Mira, blight resistant, in a litter layer of homegrown compost and leafmould as a First Early and then eventually a maincrop by furtling for potatoes and leaving the plant to keep growing. The Sarpo had remained unaffected while other variaties had been blighted.  I haven't tried them myself or eaten one to know if they are any good.

Pentland Javelin and Kestrel are my favourites.

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 00:43 »
I'm trying one of the Sarpo varieties this year - I've heard mixed reports about its cooking virtues (some think it's a great all-rounder, others don't like the flavour), but usually good reports regarding its blight resistance

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 06:29 »
You will find some people's thoughts on sarpo potatoes in the potato polls we ran in 2010, here:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=51.0
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Page created in 0.49 seconds with 37 queries.